North GA bait

Zak1994

Hey y'all, I think I may know the answer already. Just looking for extra input..

I know in north GA your not allowed to bait. I read corn counts as bait. But I was on the WMA the other day by the dove field, it's archery only for deer and they have a huge corn field out there. It's all husked, not like loose corn it's still on the stalk. Are you allowed to hunt in that field or no? I've herd you can if it's natural etc. just don't put a bag of corn out. Didn't know if it was a DNR trick or something lol. It's McGraw Ford WMA if that helps, field on the left.

Thanks!
Zak

Zak1994

I've never hunted that WMA before, when I talked to some dnr guy he said they plant natural stuff and that's fine to hunt around... but that didn't make sense since the regs say no corn lol I'll just stick away from it to be safe

oops1

Buzzard Expert
You can plant a field of corn and bush hog it and hunt all you want. Just like the mid west. It doesn't seem right but that's the law.

Zak1994

Oh okay cool thank you I appreciate it. Just didn't want my first trip out there to be an expensive one

Last edited:

nmurph

You can plant a field of corn and bush hog it and hunt all you want. Just like the mid west. It doesn't seem right but that's the law.

My understanding is that when you mow standing crops you have artificially altered their distribution and have created a baiting situation.

B

BornNRaised

With as much regulation and as hard as it is to actually hunt deer I don't see a problem with planting some corn, bush hogging it and hunting over it.

It's like anything else you get what you put in

That's just my opinion.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You can hunt it , and I would, probably a good spot , good luck !

across the river

My understanding is that when you mow standing crops you have artificially altered their distribution and have created a baiting situation.

That is federal law that only applies to migratory waterfowl, and even then, if it was part of normal agricultural practices (i.e. the farmer harvested the crop), you can still hunt over it. For dove, deer, turkey, etc...., you don't have to harvest anything, and you can mow it, plow it, burn it,etc...., as long as it was planted and grew until it seeded. You just can't dump out a bag of corn or feed wheat and hunt over it. If you grew corn or wheat and want to run over it with a bush hog, you are perfectly legal in doing so, as long as you don't hunt ducks or geese over it.

DAVE

Normal agriculture practice is not growing a crop, with the intent to bush hogging with out harvesting and then hunt over that baited field. Hunting on a baited field is ok if it is legal to bait where you happen to be hunting.

35 Whelen

BAITING
Bait: corn, wheat, other grains, salts, apples, and other feed that
has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered
so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to game
animals or game birds.

As opposed to "grown."

Coastie

Wrong.

Zak1994

BAITING
Bait: corn, wheat, other grains, salts, apples, and other feed that
has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered
so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to game
animals or game birds.

As opposed to "grown."

That's what I was thinking, it didn't say grown. But I didn't know if that was something that was like "well duh corn is corn" lol. I didn't think the dnr would plant something that people couldn't use half the WMA. facepalm: Lol. Thank you everyone for your input! I'll let ya know if it's any good there.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have a retired GW as a neighbor. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Call a current one. Things (laws/regulations/policies) change. Trust me

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The "normal agricultural practice" verbage doesn't apply to deer just federal migratory birds

DYI hunting

I don't see how a GW could consider anything they did baiting on a WMA. If it wasn't legal to hunt over, they wouldn't have done it during the season without some sort of marking it off limits. At least that's was seems logical to me.