Early Bow Season: Midday

jqcargle

What do you do between hunts? Say you hunt the morning hunt up until 11:30 am or so. Then plan to hunt the evening hunt starting around 3:30 pm. Do you go home, scout, take a nap??? Just wondering what guys do to kill the time in between. Especially if it isn't convenient to go home.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I usually have plenty to do around camp , or may scout a new area or put up a new stand , look for arrowheads is my favorite way to spend a few hours , maybe do a little creek fishing !!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I go to my hunt club and camp all weekend. There's always plenty to do. If your driving back and forth from home just hunt all day. Or take a break and go to the truck,eat a snack or lunch and go back in. I like hunting mid day in bow season

transfixer

We usually hang around camp, take a nap, or if we have a stand to move , or a different area to check, we'll do it then, when its still warm/hot in the middle of the day I don't try to go back and hunt till the evening, I'm probably missing a few opportunities, but then again the deer would probably see me moving/wiping sweat from my eyes if I tried to hunt during the middle of the day, so its just as well. Some of the best rest I've ever had was a two hour nap in the middle of the day in the peaceful deer woods!

frankwright

I usually take a break, eat and get in a short nap.

I have a 4 acre pond full of fish so I go to the pond and fish sometimes.
I have taken my lunch and gone to a big ladder stand and sat up there and ate, napped and watched for deer.

beginnersluck

If you're bow hunting, you probably hung your stand pretty close to an active trail...you never know when a deer is going to walk down it. I'd stay put if I didn't have plans to go elsewhere or have something to do at the camp. If you feel you need to take a break, then by all means, get down and walk back to camp for lunch and a nap. After a few hunts on that stand, I would scout and relocate if I didn't have any action.

Cole Henry

Check what cameras I can then nap.. i try to stay out of the woods as much as possible till its time to hunt. Scouting should be done after deer season.

I usually have plenty to do around camp , or may scout a new area or put up a new stand , look for arrowheads is my favorite way to spend a few hours , maybe do a little creek fishing !!

Do you have any pointers on how you find those? I have a creek on my property up in Pickens County and I was wondering if there might be some around it. I have found a few in the swamps I hunt here in Florida but they are usually a result of hogs tearing up the ground or people tilling the earth. I would love to get some when I head back up that way.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Do you have any pointers on how you find those? I have a creek on my property up in Pickens County and I was wondering if there might be some around it. I have found a few in the swamps I hunt here in Florida but they are usually a result of hogs tearing up the ground or people tilling the earth. I would love to get some when I head back up that way.

I've found a few in creeks that are about dry , nut mostly in roads that have washed or I look for any high ground near a creek or river that the ground has been disturbed by man mostly , and just walk and look , good way to scout for deer at the same time !

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Fortunately my lease is only 10 minutes from home, and I have some ponds on the lease. Right now we have zero pictures midday. We either go home or bass fish.

I've found a few in creeks that are about dry , nut mostly in roads that have washed or I look for any high ground near a creek or river that the ground has been disturbed by man mostly , and just walk and look , good way to scout for deer at the same time !

Awesome, thank you for the pointers. I am hoping to find some this season