coaching changes in athens?

rex upshaw

hearing that searels is probably going to be headed to texas.
i am hearing that jancek is going to be gone.
martinez will be gone from the dc position, but i think will stay on as db coach and for recruting.
garner, know clue about him, but he is always looking. he will not be the dc, so when he gets passed over, he could leave too.

i keep hearing travis jones' named being mentioned and the kirby smart name keeps popping up as well.

fairhopebama

martinez will be gone from the dc position, but i think will stay on as db coach and for recruting.
garner, know clue about him, but he is always looking. he will not be the dc, so when he gets passed over, he could leave too.

i keep hearing travis jones' named being mentioned and the kirby smart name keeps popping up as well.

leave Kirby alone. He is fine where he is.

chadair

I've heard Jancek as well. What about Fabris?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor

Wow. That's pretty much wholesale. I will be surprised if there is anything to the Searles rumor though. he was sitting pretty at LSU but decided toleave because he's from Trion and was tired of being so far from home. But then again, if they threw enough money out there, I'm sure he would walk.

Kind of weird how Willie wouldn't leave even when offered the DC position at Miami. That guy is like a case of something bad that just won't go away.

I really hate to see him coaching in any capacity at UGA. Moving him into a position similar to Eason's seems much more likely if he stays. I wish they would give Garner a raise and a credit card and tell him to just go recruit. I do not want that guy to be our DC.

BlackSmoke

I really hate it if Searels is gone. The OL has had it's troubles this year, but I really think Searels is a great coach. But I've heard a few different times that he and Bobo just dont get along. Im not sure if theres any validity to that though.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I really hate it if Searels is gone. The OL has had it's troubles this year, but I really think Searels is a great coach. But I've heard a few different times that he and Bobo just dont get along. Im not sure if theres any validity to that though.

Ah. Now that makes sense. I can definitely see that. Now watch us go run out and bring Neal Calloway back. God forbid.

BlackSmoke

Wow. That's pretty much wholesale. I will be surprised if there is anything to the Searles rumor though. he was sitting pretty at LSU but decided toleave because he's from Trion and was tired of being so far from home. But then again, if they through enough money out there, I'm sure he would walk.

Kind of weird how Willie wouldn't leave even when offered the DC position at Miami. That guy is like a case of something bad that just won't go away.

I really hate to see him coaching in any capacity at UGA. Moving him into a position similar to Eason's seems much more likely if he stays. I wish they would give Garner a raise and a credit card and tell him to just go recruit. I do not want that guy to be our DC.

Yea I hate to lose Garner, simply for his recruiting along. But he SHOULD not be promoted to DC, although I am sure he is lobbying for it since he is the Asst HC. But he just needs to focus SOLELY on recruiting.

I know it's been said numerous times that we would rather take the hit on recruiting and get a better DC. Well, I say we do both! Keep Rodney and pay him more to do NOTHING but recruit

rex upshaw

Wow. That's pretty much wholesale. I will be surprised if there is anything to the Searles rumor though. he was sitting pretty at LSU but decided toleave because he's from Trion and was tired of being so far from home.

i agree about searels and that is just something i had heard from a texas buddy of mine. probably nothing to it, but you never know. as for him coming to uga to be closer to home, that is exactly what i thought. this was the first i had heard of him departing.

dwills

I think Travis Jones would be a decent pick up. Being a NFL guy, it might help with recruiting. My problem is that he is a D-line guy. He played the position at UGA and that is all he has coached so far. A great D-line is very important, but our main problem right now is a VERY weak secondary. From what I hear, Willie will probably stay and coach the secondary, which will leave us with the same problem we've had the last couple of years: the secondary. I just don't see a D-line guy coming in and bossing Willie around about his secondary, which is very much what needs to happen. He should have to accept responsibility for his guys. I do believe that a major contributor to our weak secondary comes from the fact that we blitz our linebackers the majority of the time. If you don't get to the QB, you leave the middle of the field wide open. Our secondary has struggled to defend the short, over the middle passes, which should be picked up by the linebackers. We should be getting to the QB MUCH more than we do, considering guys like Owens, Weston, Houston, and Atkins, along with the amount of linebacker blitzes we send! But maybe someone can come in and bring the heat back to our defense. Unfortunately, Willie just isn't getting it done.

chadair

all the talk about coaches recruitin I don't get:huh: UGA offers things that other schools outside of the south can't offer. Warmer weather for football. and nice lookin (barely clothed) women layin out by the pool.
UGA has put more players in the nfl then anyone in the sec, so obviously recruitin is not an issue. Put the right coaches in place, and they will flock to that school

DSGB

Definitely need a new DC and Special Teams coach.
I read somewhere that Garner was not even under contract. :huh:

rex upshaw

I think Travis Jones would be a decent pick up. Being a NFL guy, it might help with recruiting. My problem is that he is a D-line guy. He played the position at UGA and that is all he has coached so far. A great D-line is very important, but our main problem right now is a VERY weak secondary. From what I hear, Willie will probably stay and coach the secondary, which will leave us with the same problem we've had the last couple of years: the secondary. I just don't see a D-line guy coming in and bossing Willie around about his secondary, which is very much what needs to happen. He should have to accept responsibility for his guys. I do believe that a major contributor to our weak secondary comes from the fact that we blitz our linebackers the majority of the time. If you don't get to the QB, you leave the middle of the field wide open. Our secondary has struggled to defend the short, over the middle passes, which should be picked up by the linebackers. We should be getting to the QB MUCH more than we do, considering guys like Owens, Weston, Houston, and Atkins, along with the amount of linebacker blitzes we send! But maybe someone can come in and bring the heat back to our defense. Unfortunately, Willie just isn't getting it done.

i understand what you're saying. we need to get more pressure up front, which will take a ton of pressure off of our db's. we have not done well in this department the past 2 years. as for martinez being the db's coach, that doesn't worry me as much. there have been plenty of offensive assistants that went on to be the oc and didn't get the job done. just as their have been defensive assistants (like wm) who went on to be the dc, who couldn't get the job done. martinez got the job of being the dc because he was thought highly enough about what he was doing with the db's. it doesn't always translate well to calling the overall schemes.

maybe with martinez focussed solely on the db's and someone else calling the plays, things will improve. again, as you mentioned, a lot of what is giving us headaches is the fact that we have no pressure. a new dc can come in and change the way this team plays, prepares and can totally turn this group around.

rex upshaw

all the talk about coaches recruitin I don't get:huh: UGA offers things that other schools outside of the south can't offer. Warmer weather for football. and nice lookin (barely clothed) women layin out by the pool.
UGA has put more players in the nfl then anyone in the sec, so obviously recruitin is not an issue. Put the right coaches in place, and they will flock to that school

well, to a point you are correct. but regardless of the climate, you still need coaches that can recruit. garner has recruited and put several players in the nfl. we want to keep him, because of his ties to certain programs, where bringing in a new coach, might have to start from scratch. if we lose him, it will not be the end of the world. if he comes asking for more money again, or does his interview tour again this year, let him go. a good product on the field will bring in good player, but it doesn't hurt to have coaches with connections. it also doesn't hurt that he is an african american either. i know kellin winslow went to florida, based on the fact that they had some aa coaches on staff.

chadair

kellen winslow went to the "U". he ain't no gator:bounce:
I understand how havin an "in" for certain high schools, but the one thing that stamps out the "in" is winning.
The Storm kid at Loganville is a prime example, he did not want to go to Meatchicken State because of Climate.
Steve Spurrier was not known for recruiting.
I just believe their is enough talent in the state of georgia, and if UGA wins that recruitin battle and keeps those kids in state, then every thing else will take care of itself. The reason these kids are leavin, is they see a better chance of championships somewhere else. I know some go out of state for quicker playin oppurtunities, but put 3 crystal balls in your showcase, and the majority of those kids stay home.

tell sackett

What do ya'll think of the idea of making a run at Charlie Strong? He's only making 300k at crocodile u from what I understand. In the coaching biz, money is a big stick. Offer him 500 to come to UGA and see what happens. At the very least, uf might have to come off some serious money to keep him.:stir:

Credit where credit is due: the man is a great dc and I for one wouldn't mind one bit seeing him on the Dawgs sideline.

rex upshaw

kellen winslow went to the "U". he ain't no gator:bounce:
I understand how havin an "in" for certain high schools, but the one thing that stamps out the "in" is winning.
The Storm kid at Loganville is a prime example, he did not want to go to Meatchicken State because of Climate.
Steve Spurrier was not known for recruiting.
I just believe their is enough talent in the state of georgia, and if UGA wins that recruitin battle and keeps those kids in state, then every thing else will take care of itself. The reason these kids are leavin, is they see a better chance of championships somewhere else. I know some go out of state for quicker playin oppurtunities, but put 3 crystal balls in your showcase, and the majority of those kids stay home.

not sure why i put florida :banginghe. yes, winning will do tons for recruiting. however, these are 18 year old kids, who sometimes go to a school based on who they followed growing up, or what their uniforms look like. certainly, climate plays a role for some of these kids, but so does playing time and the chance to be part of a winning program. uga is not struggling in the department of getting good recruits.

we lost eric berry to ut because his family ties to the school. we lost allen bailey to um, because we wanted him to play de and um said he could play lb. for the record, he is now playing dt and weighs over 280lbs. we lost hayward to osu, but were in the mix all the way. he wasn't concerned about the weather. all 3 of these guys were in one recruiting class and all of them are studs.

yes, winning is the key, but having good connections is quite helpful, especially when you don't have strong ties to inner city schools, which has been a problem for uga, but is improving.