Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
People have been asking about what ring height will work with the new PST 6-24x50mm scope. Here are a couple of pictures of my Savage with their Target action with a very heavy barrel.

The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP MOA with a Vortex Custom Elevation Turret made for 6mm Norma BR. which is accurate all the way out to 1,200 yds. which is the farthest I have shot it so far.

The Picatinney rail is a 20 MOA made by EGW and Burris low Extreme Tactical rings. The scope fits low with enough room for Butler Creek pop open cover without touching barrel which is a # 43 for the objective & a # 16 for the eye piece.

Hope this helps since the new scopes should be out by February 2011 I hope.

gt40

PS: The target is the first one I shot at 400 yds. with the Custom Turret to see if I was on the paper!!!! :D

Picture with 5 shot 3/8" group was shot at 200 yds.

I also put a high quality UV filter on the objective lens so I can not scratch the lens only the filter which cost about $12.

Attachments

• 6-24x50 PST MOA 1.jpg
    6-24x50 PST MOA 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 16,383
  • bling 3.jpg
    bling 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15,595
  • bling 4.jpg
    bling 4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 15,573
  • 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 15,348
  • EBR-1 reticle.png
    EBR-1 reticle.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 15,039
  • 200 yd. zero.jpg
    200 yd. zero.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14,548
  • vortex bubble level 1.JPG
    vortex bubble level 1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 17,219
  • uv filter .JPG
    uv filter .JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 12,834
  • 200 yd. 3:8%22 .JPG
    200 yd. 3:8%22 .JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 11,927
  • 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 8,812
Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you notice I have 2 bubble levels on rifle first. The one on the rail is to get the rail (action) level. After it is level I make sure the vertical cross hair is perfect then I mount the offset bubble on the scope tube and then remove the one attached to the Picatinney rail.

joseph

BRANDYN

Very nice, im considering the same scope in 4-16-50 to go on my 6.5 Grendel. Perhaps I need to step up to the 6-24-50 as well to venture towards a 1000 yards. Ive shot out to about a 500 yards max.

buckshot29

Man u've really got that rifle tricked out! Doesn't even look like a Savage & just to be sure since I got to it by following a link on .243's. Is that what caliber that is. Also wanted to ask you about the UV filter you placed on the objective lens. Early in the mornings & as the sun's going down, does it interfere with the light at all? Just wondering since I see a lot of Deer just before quitting time but still legal time & just wanted to know how much of the last available light does it hinder, if any at all? Thanks so much 4 your time

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man u've really got that rifle tricked out! Doesn't even look like a Savage & just to be sure since I got to it by following a link on .243's. Is that what caliber that is. Also wanted to ask you about the UV filter you placed on the objective lens. Early in the mornings & as the sun's going down, does it interfere with the light at all? Just wondering since I see a lot of Deer just before quitting time but still legal time & just wanted to know how much of the last available light does it hinder, if any at all? Thanks so much 4 your time

It is a 6mm Norma BR. The UV filter does cut down on the light, but last season I saw a deer at about 100 yds. and it was so dark that I barely knew it was a deer with my eyes. When I looked through the scope I could count the points.

gt40

PS: The .243 is on left and the 6mm Norma BR. is on right. The .243 is a little faster, but the short one is much more accurate even considering how accurate the .243 is.

Attachments

• 243 & 6mm Norma BR> .jpg
    243 & 6mm Norma BR> .jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 8,862
Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm savage fan to :biggrin3: If i ever do swap my barrel out i'm leaning toward going with 6 Dasher for the extra velocity.

The 6mm Norma BR. can be chambered for no neck turn brass ( mine is .271 )and the little increase in velocity won't gain you anything when you consider all your extra case prep work with the dasher. IMHO.

gt40

Last edited: