ATV vs. 4WD Truck

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Got some friends over in Bama that buy used Suzuki Samurai's and use them around camp. They're about as small as some of the bigger ATV's and they are weather proof and have heat. Will go about anywhere an atv will. Plus a used Samurai is about $4k cheaper than a new ATV.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
While I too laughed about a hunter not having a 4x4 truck, I would definitely go with an atv/golf cart of some kind..............if your truck works for you and you frequently wash it, keep it. You might not want to be beating the heck out of your truck, even if it is a 4x4. :cheers:

leoparddog

An old Toyota 4Runner, old jeep or other older 4WD that has heat is a wonderful thing. Not to mention I stay dry driving through mud and puddles. If you can keep it at your club and not pay for the tag and insurance, it can be cheaper than an ATV/UTV, easier to work on yourself and find parts for.

We have a big club and trailering or hauling an ATV out there and then changing vehicles and then loading back up seems like a lot more work than just driving where I want to go. I may buy an ATV one day....maybe.

They say you can measure the complexity and frustration in a man's life by how many internal combustion engines he owns. One good but slightly older 4WD works for me.

sweatequity

maybe consider

scouting some spots that are more accessible and buying a cart to haul your deer?

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/hawk-crawler-deer-cart.html

I bought this a few weeks ago and used it this week to haul out a doe. It was amazing! Rolls over logs.

As mentioned, you could be a cheap samurai and just leave it at the club. ATVS are nice but that sound carries forever in the woods. I came close to buying one but I could only use it at the club since I live in a subdivision.

One day I will have some land...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
An extra 4x4 Truck sitting In the yard waiting for Season still costs $600 a year insurance and Tags ect.
An ATV is..like free.
I have all 3, a Polaris 450 , A Polaris Ranger and an 84 CJ 7.
I like the Jeep best but it never leaves the Lease.
Coffee cup holders , wipers , heater , windshield , removable doors, big tires.
No Tags or insurance.

I drive my 4wd truck 80 miles a day every day, it doesn't sit in the yard. Don't want anything else. Around here you need 4wd on the highway nearly half the year, too, unless you like sliding all over the place and doing unintentional donuts and not being able to get up hills.

Firepuppy89

You come down south and run some hounds with a 2wd and u may spend most your day in the ditch waiting till the race is over. mine gets used religiously during deer season

JohnK

Last couple of clubs I've been in you would be hunting less than 30% the land if you only had a truck. I don't care if it's a 4wd truck or not it's too wide to get down the trails. If there is no trail you can usually ride down enough stuff to make one. I've had new 4wd drive trucks and I never used it much, I use the atv 4wd all the time but then again I'm some where you can't get with a truck anyway. I might as well add that you can get a atv 4wd stuck pretty quick too if you ain't careful.

GunnSmokeer

A lot of guys have "an old beater" 4x4 for hunting trips.

I used to. But that was when my hunting spot was 45 minutes from where I lived. I don't mind taking that short of a drive in an ugly beater with no A/C and a radio that plays more static than music.

If I had to drive 150 miles to my hunting club, I don't think I'd be making that long of a trip in a 20+ year old 4x4 with a lot of miles on its drivetrain, and putting up with the low gas mileage and lack of creature comforts on the ride to and from the woods.

For that long trip, I'd rather have a nice vehicle, 2WD, modern, in good running shape, towing a trailer with an ATV.

P.S. Car insurance rates in Georgia are among the highest in the USA. And the "multi-car" discount with State Farm isn't worth much. It's crazy expensive to have a second registered and insured motor vehicle that you hardly ever use.

280bst

Matter of opinion I guess had 2wheel when younger got a 4 wheel drive and swore never would go back. Got a f-350 dually 4 wheel a 97 Jeep Wrangler 4wh and a Yamaha Big Bear 4wh and I use all of them every week the Jeep is used almost daily and takes me in the woods the 4 Yamaha takes me deep in the woods and hauls critters out to the Jeep and used around the house the dually hauls my tractor and stuff around. I think your best option is get a 4wheeler put it in the bed of truck and go with it

NugeForPres

In my opinion, an ATV is hard to beat-if one is allowed where you hunt.

telsonman

I would just get a four wheeler and be done with it. If you shoot a deer back in the woods it may be too thick to maneuver your truck back there but a four wheeler usually won't have a problem

Little late, but thanks for everybody's opinions! Ended up going with both a 4WD truck and Honda Rancher. Too broke for anything but hunting after that!

snookdoctor

A truck/jeep is worthless for dragging a deer out of the deep woods. A small to mid size 4 wheeler will go through almost anything, vegetation wise. Larger wheelers can be more difficult to maneuver in the woods, but still beat a truck.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our club has gone to golf carts with lift kits and large tires. Amazing where these things will go. True, four wheelers will go places a cart can't, we have a couple for those chores. Electric carts are quiet and can haul heavy loads.

Attachments

• golfcartfor hogs.jpg
    golfcartfor hogs.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 876
  • Swamphunting.jpg
    Swamphunting.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 919
  • newstand.jpg
    newstand.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 900
  • A189.jpg
    A189.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 937
  • A344.jpg
    A344.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 923

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our hunting area is mostly swamp, as long as the cart motor doesn't go underwater, we're good.

Attachments

• A241.jpg
    A241.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 961
  • A223.jpg
    A223.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 914