Best Total Scan Finder Under $800

whchunter

Which is the best make and model?

I have a 16 foot stick steering aluminum boat.

I also have concerns about the location of the big transducer as to mounting and whether it will be damaged or knocked off. From what I've heard the replacement transducers cost around $300.

Is the lake mapping worth the extra money?

KKrueger

I don't know the answer but I'm in the same boat right now since mine won't power on any more.

At that price point it looks like there are a lot of options. I'm hoping to move from the 7" up to the 9" and stay at that same price point.

Curious to see the replies to this.

NGPhoenix

I will say up front, I'm a Garmin fan, so that's my bias......

To me, you can't beat this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GARMIN-ECHOMAP-PLUS-SV-W-TRANSDUCER/2655106.uts?slotId=3

It has touch screen, clear view (down view), side view, sonar, maps pre-loaded, wifi, etc. It also has an app that you can load on your mobile device to create routes, maps, etc. and do updates. Personally, I find Garmin easier to use. They are $799 in the Cabela's store, but you can get them for $749 from the website.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GARMIN-ECHOMAP-PLUS-SV-W-TRANSDUCER/2655106.uts?slotId=3

It has touch screen, clear view (down view), side view, sonar, maps pre-loaded, wifi, etc. It also has an app that you can load on your mobile device to create routes, maps, etc. and do updates. Personally, I find Garmin easier to use. They are $799 in the Cabela's store, but you can get them for $749 from the website.

I have a 73SV as well and it is a great little unit. I would highly recommend it.

littlejon

Which is the best make and model?

I have a 16 foot stick steering aluminum boat.

I also have concerns about the location of the big transducer as to mounting and whether it will be damaged or knocked off. From what I've heard the replacement transducers cost around $300.

Is the lake mapping worth the extra money?

Best make and model - you can argue for any of the big 3 companies.

whether it would be knocked off - really depends on you. Where you fish? Stumpy area? Do you troll with your motor up? Mounted on trolling motor or transom? You really don't have a lot of options where to mount it to reach peak performance.

Mapping - again, depends where you fish but in general its a game changer for most

I chose the Helix 7 because of how easy it is to use right out of the box and easy installation. I have been very happy with both of mine. I have no experience with the other brands.

I would go out with different people who have similar set ups that you are looking at to get a feel for them. :flag:

whchunter

Ok

I've looked at it and it does have the smaller transducer. A guy a BPS (where it sells for $749) says during the Fishing Classic this spring it might go on sale. I have also looked at the Lowrance Elite.

61BelAir

I went with Humminbird as they always seem to have the best reviews for customer service from members here.

I have noticed the new Lowrance Hook2 7 TripleShot units out. 7" screen, side imagine, down imaging, sonar, GPS for only $400. Also available with a few different Navionics+ or US Inland mapping for under $600. These are brand new so I don't guess anyone here has one yet, but it sounds like a lot of fish finder for the money. Even the Hook2 9" Tripleshot is within your range.

JohnK

No reviews on the Hook2 7 but that sure looks to be a good price. HB seems to be more common now days but I can remember when Lowrance was the only way to go.

JohnK

Newest download Bass pro flyer says Garmin 94sv at $599...limited quanties available starting 2/16/18. I guess that's a 9 inch screen and seems to have features other makers don't offer, at least in that price range. I would love to have one but I know if I drive over there they'd be gone.

61BelAir

Newest download Bass pro flyer says Garmin 94sv at $599...limited quanties available starting 2/16/18. I guess that's a 9 inch screen and seems to have features other makers don't offer, at least in that price range. I would love to have one but I know if I drive over there they'd be gone.

Check to see if you can purchase at that price online and pick up in store.

JohnK

Do you need a separate transducer for 2d sonar?

whchunter

Differeence

What's the difference between a 93 and a 94 or 73 vs 74? Is one a salt water and another a freshwater?

kscoggins

What's the difference between a 93 and a 94 or 73 vs 74? Is one a salt water and another a freshwater?

These 2 in the BPS ad are the saltwater models but come with the LakeVu card so best 9f both worlds as far as maps.
Not sure how much this matters but they also come with the cv51 transducer instead of the cv52 that comes with the 73 and 93 models. From what I can gather that means the side and down imaging will use 260hz and 455 hz which is meant for deeper water and the cv52 is 455hz and 800hz which gives more detail in shallow water.

I am now torn between the Garmin at BPS and the Lowrance HDS7 on sale at Cabela's.
There are some other good deals at BOE and others online but I got a bunch of Cabela's gift cards to use and they take them at BPS now.

Last edited: