Snake with blue tail

divinginn

Does any of our snake experts know of a snake in GA with the end of their tail blue colored? All I saw was about the last six inches of its tail,I told my wife about it and her first words were that it is poisonous but I know better than that. It was going through some ivy so all I could see was the tail,it seems like I have seen that before or it could have just been one of those large blue tail lizards I see around.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Sounds like a female broadhead skink.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The males are dark brown with a red head. Old folks around home called em "skorpins" , and thought they were deadly poison and you might die if one bit you.

Grab one and they will bite the tar out of you.

Artfuldodger

Those things are a bit freaky for some reason. I think because they are so fast. I don't think I've ever seen a male one. Maybe they are more elusive. I'll pass on grabbing one. I'm not too crazy about picking up one of those little green lizards.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here`s an adult male broadhead skink.

Attachments

• skorpin.jpg
    skorpin.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 570

dirtnap

I had a cricket box on the carport with about 50 crickets in it years ago and when I went back all I had was one of the big male ones and no crickets he had eaten every one of them in one day

Casey81

I saw one of them yesterday perched up on my tire. First time I have ever seen a male.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Six-lined racerunner lizards can have a good bit of blue on them, too, and they can get up to nearly a foot long.