Running -- To get in shape

mattuga

Banned
I ran cross country in HS in the offseason for soccer benefits and was always real good with endurance. Since then I never raced the clock other than the Peachtree RR into my mid 20s where I could hold an 8 min/mile pace for the 10k no problem.

I'm 34 now and getting back into running but have struggled to get well beyond the 8 min/mile for my first mile but do hold the pace easily beyond that. I figured out today it was my stride, once my strength and now my weakness. I think I am missing the muscle memory from being lazy in my running and I was releasing too much on my heel instead of toe. I almost matched my 2nd mile today to my 1st mile after focusing more on my form and stride.

Anyone who has gotten back into running like this that has advice is appreciated. I'd like to run a sub-6 minute mile one more time and that clock is basically already ticking on it being a reality. I sure don't see too many posts about running on GON so in a couple days if I have zero responses...wrong place for this question!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've been known to run back in from the mailbox at the end of the driveway when a rainshower catches me.

Seriously, I'm not a runner, but know a few, and I've been told stride is important.

Tim Ferris has a great book called the 4-hour Body. There's a entire chapter about running and form. Maybe check that out.

mattuga

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. I want to get after it while I can. Running will soon be a backdrop and biking will take over. That is my dad's knees talking me on what is to come.

DrK

If you have taken relatively good care of your body and in good shape go for it! I am 54 y/o and still consider myself a runner (in my mind at least) but is bad and getting worse every year. I have developed arthritis and have torn my meniscus in both knees. The reality is it's more a run/walk for me at this point. I just have to finish the distance.

The human body is at is physical prime at 25-27 years old but the mature athletes of present have shown that with proper care and rehab you should be able to perform at max if not close to max at least at 35 if not 40 years old. My advise if you are just getting back at it is proper form and listen to your body very well. Don't have preconceived notions of what you are supposed to be able to do but take every part of your body (knees, feet, muscle, heart, lungs, etc.) individually. The damage you caused in your youth due to bad form or foolishly pushing it will start to knock on the door and remind you of it. If something hurts while you are running back off a little bit and slowly push it again only when it's ready. Remember that you are doing this to get yourself healthier and not create more damage. Push it and have some goals but be realistic. If you maintain a 9 minute mile at 40 you are doing good.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I've just recently (March) started getting back into shape. I'm 37 but I enjoy longer runs. I can't even honestly tell you how fast I can run a single mile. I alternate using the elliptical and running each day. I also do stairs, sprints and calisthenics when I jog a couple of times a week. I normally do one long (what I call long) run a week. Normally I'll do 6-8 miles a day when I run depending on what exercises I'm mixing in. Never been taught form (mine is probably horrible). I do know that I can do 13 miles in just under 2 hours. I've also lost 47 pounds since March.

Matthew6

Banned thug
Thanks for the feedback. I want to get after it while I can. Running will soon be a backdrop and biking will take over. That is my dad's knees talking me on what is to come.

start on the bike now. save your knees now or go to the gym and use some machines that are les impact. ran lots in the military and was in good shape at 45 when i retired. still i live by my current motto "if you see me running, shoot the censored censored chasing me". :bounce:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Used to run a little myself. I would think how your upperbody leans or doesn't lean affects your stride, along with how flexible you are vs you were. Also, if my memory is correct, head up creates a longer stride than head down.

I need to see if I can remember/find a guy I saw on youtube that "showed" you how to run. His stride and body posture was nothing like what I thought was the way, but he was getting it.

mattuga

Banned
This is way more input than I expected but the exact input I wanted. Great info all around.

dwhee87 and Flash, thanks for the educational references.
Thank you DrK and 01Foreman400 for such good details. Foreman, that is a very good pace you have going and impressive. Matthew6 thank you for your service and input, exercise bike will be the answer. The knees get sore and I want to get back into soccer, it seems the knees are the equivalent to humans as hips for a good lab, our downfall.

sinclair1

start on the bike now. save your knees now or go to the gym and use some machines that are les impact. ran lots in the military and was in good shape at 45 when i retired. still i live by my current motto "if you see me running, shoot the censored censored chasing me". :bounce:

This is good advice. I was a bike/run guy in my twenties. I was told I would need a new knee by 45. I switched to walking/bike and use a monitor to stay in zone. I will be 50 soon with original knee and no sign of ever needing a replacement. I was having trouble with it at the time I was warned.

Patriot44

Banned
I had back surgery in May and still cant run, but should be able to start jogging a slow pace any day. May even try this weekend.

You can have running pavement, give me dirt, shade and hills! My wife and I run at Redtop or Kennesaw Mountain a lot, some weekend we run as a family. Those hills will whip you int shape and you will smoke 5 and 10K's. Trail running is 1000X better IMO.

Good luck!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Tried running once. The pains and injuries it caused prevented me from doing other healthy workouts to lose weight and get in shape.

I determined that my best course of action was to lose all of the weight first then pick running back up. Still workin on that weight thing.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I am fortunate to be able to run inside on a rubber track during my lunch break. I'm sure that helps the joints and knees out as well.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I briskly hike up Stone Mountain every other day with no stops. I'm building up to jog the whole thing - I can do around half of it right now...~600ft of elevation change in 1.3 miles is no joke. On the weekends when I'm not crunched for time, I'll go up and down a couple times. Sometimes I take a pack but it's too dern hot right now, even in the morning. In the fall, I think i'm going to put my hang on and sticks on my back.

I'm not built to run distance but I can enjoy a trail run of 5 miles or so. I gotta have changing scenery to run as well...not a fan of laps of anything or being on the treadmill for more than about 10 minutes. I also like the trail as it's more engaging both mentally and physically (uneven ground, roots, etc.).

1gr8bldr

I run.... intend to, not always, about 2 times a week. I want to for my lungs. However, I will never go beyond 2 days per week. No sense in wearing out your knees or hurting heels. 1.5 miles almost at a sprint, LOL, somedays lungs do well and other days I feel like a smoker. I hate running. Nothing fun about it. I do it as fast as I can to get it over with. I also don't see the need in going long distance. Just more wear and tear on the body. When I was young, I could run a 6 minute mile. LOL, probably more like a ten minute mile now.

sinclair1

Bones dont know how good of shape youre in, so if your a big guy like me 6'4" 200lbs, I would be careful with how much load you give your knees.
That said my step sister is a trainer that has been running marathons at a serious level for thirty years, Boston etc. she is 54 and has thousands of miles on her knees without trouble, but she only weighs 100lbs. :cheers:

Most of the fast distance runners I know are getting up there in age, so I wouldn't worry about age at all. Look at Stu on here, dude is crushing the tough mudder at 60++.

Last edited:

01Foreman400

Staff member
I'm 5' 11" and 166 pounds. Not a big guy by any stretch. :bounce:

I finally got an app and timed myself and did a 6 minute and 38 second mile this morning. Then followed it up with 7.5 more miles. Gonna try again in the morning.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

I finally got an app and timed myself and did a 6 minute and 38 second mile this morning. Then followed it up with 7.5 more miles. Gonna try again in the morning.

That's seems fast for exercise. Sounds like a race

SC Hunter

That is rolling along pretty good! I run a good bit and average about a 8 to 8:30/mile for a 5k. I couldn't touch 6:38 :rofl: I am 6' and weighed 215 on the dot this morning when I was dropping off a patient in the ER. I hate to run but I know if I don't I gain weight fast. I run about 3 times a week and do weight training 4-5 days a week.

I have never been taught proper technique on how to run but I have changed my running style to where my legs and feet don't hurt as bad anymore.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Had a good run this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 363