Requiem for Steve Pickard's Bullet

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I heard the bad news today from Louisville, Ga., that Steve Pickard’s Bullet died Thursday a few days after his 11th birthday on Monday. I spoke with Steve and he told me that Bullet died in his arms of kidney failure after having problems since November. He was able to shoot some quail over him during his last few days. Bullet sired many fine hunting dogs and companions that have been scattered all over the U.S. My Willa and Abby were sired by him as well Sam H’s Colt and Julia's Lucky, both forum members. Two of my wife’s first cousins in Jefferson County each have a dog sired by Bullet. He had the heart and drive of a lion with the nose of a champion, traits he instilled in his litters. Steve is heart-broken as any one of us would be. For those who believe dogs are simply livestock and should be treated as such, they will never understand their lifetime of loyalty and joy of having one, or endure the price we pay for the privilege-- a wretched sense of loss and pain when one of these wonderful creature dies. From left to right, Abby, Cash, Red and Willa all pups by Bullet. Gil

Last edited:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
bullet-041009_med_hr-2.jpeg

Gaswamp

thanks for sharing Gil...cherish the time and memories and legacy

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Im sorry for Mr Pickards lost of a fine friend and hunting companion. It is fourtunate that Bullet lives on in its off spring. Beautiful dogs sitting in the truck.
Jeff

StevePickard

Thank you Gil!
That was a wonderful tribute to Bullet. His will to live was as strong as his desire to hunt! He put up an unbelievable fight for his life and went out peacefully in my arm of natural accord. There is a huge void in my heart from his absence. He will be missed forever, but I know he will live on through his many offspring. Bullet sired over 70 puppies, with his last pup being sent to Hawaii on his birthday.
Rest in Peace Bullet....you've earned it!
Steve Pickard

sjrwinder

Mr. Pickard my sincere condolences to you. We have never met but I know exactly how and what you going thru and feel. For me even remembering the good times and have a new boy ( JB 2 years old lab) it still hurts losing Rooster (9yrs 11months old lab) Darn I miss that dog. Once again my deepest and warmest thoughts go out to you. I’m absolutely sure if the Rainbow Bridge is in heaven they are have a grand time and every night waiting for us to come.

StevePickard

Thank you very much! I am sorry for your loss also. I think my good friend Gil said it best: "the price we pay for the privilege-- a wretched sense of loss and pain when one of these wonderful creature dies". The pain and loss is terrible to endure, but the enjoyment I got from Bullet was worth every price I had to pay.
His memory will last forever!
Steve Pickard

coveyrise

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how much you loved him. The day we pick up a new puppy and look it in the eyes we know that one day they will break our hearts and leave our world. The only way to prevent it is to never own a dog. To do so would be much sadder.
I am glad you bred him and have so many great dogs from him still around. Through him he lives forever.

pine nut

I am sorry Steve for your loss. He was a gorgeous dog and only another bird hunting, dog lover can understand your pain. I love my dog to the moon and back! Hate to think of that day. Love them every day and take a video of what they do that you love. One consolation though is that they will always live on in our hearts. God Bless you.

mlandrum

Wow Steve, hate to hear the bad news, I never knew Bullet, but have lost several dogs also and know it's got to be heavy on your heart ----So Sorry:type: