Smoke him off the roost?

The mtn man

I've never had one close enough to do that until a couple years ago on some National Forest. A friend & I went blind to a spot one morning, walked in with no flashlights, and stopped in a bottom. We planned on listening in the bottom at daybreak and play it from there. We were standing there in the dark as daybreak was getting closer. We were whispering and just shooting the breeze. And I jokingly said "Wouldn't it be funny if there was one roosted over us." Immediately, Tim just kind of leans his head back and starts scanning the treetops. I noticed his head stopped moving & he was staring. About that time he says "Ben, there is a bird in the tree". I figured he was pulling my leg since I literally just said something about that. I looked and sure as heck, there he was. We contemplated what to do and at daybreak we purred & clicked at him. He looked around but seemed to be more interested in something to the right. We discussed whether we wanted to shoot him or not and neither of us having ever been under a bird like this, we agreed to. About that time about 100yds off to our right, a hen pitched down going away from us. That's what he had been eyeing. I shot him and he hit the ground with a loud thud. We were in disbelief that we blindly walked under one in the dark. I'm not sure I would do it again, but I don't regret it. Two buddies made a lifelong memory that morning and we still laugh about it and poke fun.

What's worse is when your standing there listening for that first gobble, and one blows your head off right above you when you had no idea he was there, it will make you jump out of your skin. I don't know why, but that has happened to me several times, I've watched them all pitch off the roost, but never had one come back to the roost after he flew down, not sure why that is.

T-N-T

My way of hunting for the 36 years since has been if he aint gobbling and strutting, I aint hunting him at all. Just not the same as watching them come in all puffed up and shaking the woods.

He doesn't Have to strut for me to kill him.
But if he isn't gobbling I aint hunting...

Its all about sport, wit, and the thrill of the chase. I have NO interest in roost shooting.

Now if he comes to the call and flys up to get a look for a hen he cant find? Well I called him in didn't I? :D

warronl

Never have never will. After fly-down I still wait until the time is right. Its an ethical harvest and hunt. Not a slaughter of "thunder chickens" while bragging about your skill as a turkey hunter. Just not for me.

I had a chance to shoot one of the biggest Turkeys I've ever seen while he was on the roost gobbling his head off...I couldn't bring myself to do it. He eventually pitched out and walked straight away from me, and I couldn't get a shot at him. I've never forgotten that, and I've never regretted it. Not my cup of tea.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
About 20 yrs ago I was in a lease on the ocmulgee river near lumber city ga , and the river had came out of the banks very fast and I listened to a bird gobble non stop for 2 mornings and finally decided I knew what little hill he was on and decided to wade/swim to him , a few hundred yards , when I got to him he was in a big oak tree surrounded by water, he took a ride , and I felt bad about it for a few minutes, but the river stayed full for a couple weeks and he probably would of starved anyway ! Shot a few more than came to my calling and flew up to close!

goshenmountainman

He doesn't Have to strut for me to kill him.
But if he isn't gobbling I aint hunting...

Its all about sport, wit, and the thrill of the chase. I have NO interest in roost shooting.

Now if he comes to the call and flys up to get a look for a hen he cant find? Well I called him in didn't I? :D
He really doesn't have to strut, but I love to hear them gobble.... If they ain't gobbling I am going bass fishing, and I love me some bass fishing!! My boat is usually already hooked up and ready to go all through turkey season and sometimes I hear a good one from the lake that I can pay a visit to the next morning..

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Years ago I got a compass bearing on a distant bird in open pines and it was still dark as he cranked up. I went as close as I could as the sky lightened and he had stopped gobbling. I stopped and put my back against a pine and did some light clucks. Nothing. Minutes later, a gobble shook out of the pine to my immediate right, the tree being 15' feet away. He began gobbling again every minute for about 10 minutes, but I didn't dare answer. He parachuted down, 30 steps away. Bang; flop. Dead. I had walked, not under the tree he was in, but close enough. Gil

DogHunter4Life

1. What does the price of the stuff you buy have to do with hunting ethics/enjoyment?

2. Really?

I was trying to paint a picture of why I would shoot one off the roost. I buy cheap stuff because I’m not a “trophy” turkey hunter. I go to kill a gobbler. It’s fun but I wouldn’t go without a gun. If shooting a gobbler out of a tree is legal why wouldn’t I and why is it wrong? Heck I would shoot a Jake if he walked by at the right time. It’s legal, why not.

And really? You dang right. I’d take killing one off the roost any day over working one and he be the one that got away. But hey, that’s my opinion and right. :cool:

saltysenior

I heard from many old ranch owners that years back spring gobbler hunting was not considered a sport......sneaking in to a roosting bird or birds in the fall and winter was accepted......Old Tom Gaskins told me about this himself..

Garnto88

Not anymore. There was a time yes. Very difficult to slip in on a gobbler and shoot out of tree even when you think you know what tree he is in.

Bubba_1122

At my age hunting ain't just about the killing anymore.

My joy in turkey hunting is watching "the show". Watching him strut. Having him hammering down right there in front of me. They're such beautiful creatures when they're up close.

Kills people that I take with me, cause we're gonna watch them a while before it's time to shoot.

It's also about the competition between me and the bird. Trying to get him to go completely against his instincts and come to me.

Bypassing all that just to have a dead bird ain't my deal, but if it's all about the meat to some of you guys go for it.