Snook in Ga waters

Ckersey33

I was pretty excited about it. When I caught the snook it got tangled in a weed bed and brought in about 2 lbs of weeds. I didn thave a clue what it was until I peeled off all the grass...I'll let ya'll know if I catch any more of them.

BearGoneFishing

I doubt it. Like I said in an earlier post, there is a certain temperature level that has a paralizing affect on snook. If the temp stays at that level or below for more than a few hours, the snook will die. Just a little ways north of Tampa Bay, it will get cold enough some winters where you will see some winter kills.

Unless we get some serious global warming, I doubt the Ga waters will stay warm enough in the winter to support more than just a handful of wayward fish that wandered too far north.

They seem to be moving in the gulf a little more, and with water temps and air temps on the rise I don't see why we may not start seeing a little snook movement to the GA waters. Every other fish seems to be moving farther north, probably trying to get away from all the floridians I know I do.

grouperdawg

snooks

We used to catch them when I was younger in st. augustine, flagler, etc. & it seemed that was considered pretty far north at the time. They were usually smaller like the size of the one pictured but even small ones fight awesome with the right tackle.

I have seen a few winters in vero beach where the temps dropped and the canals were littered with snook belly up. If you wanted you could go by with a net and scoop them up. People were arguing they are going to die anyway. I agree with previous poster, probably would not see many in big numbers because of the water temp. Maybe a super breed of snook is evolving.

swamp hunter

Global warming!!. Our Snook are headed your way , and we want them back!!. Next you,ll have our chicks in bikinis

GAranger1403

I have caught 2 in the St. Johns, very small however. Thats pretty neat. I think the Georgia record is 10 lbs.

seaweaver

Caught three (small) in a cast net in a salt pond inside Beaufort SC city limits. crazy...but I like it.
cw

perryrip

I know this is a 2008 thread, but I was casting for bait in a estuary mud hole off of Harris Neck Road two days last week, and caught over 10 baby snook each day. At two to 4 inches they must be breeding in this area. I was surprised.

swamp hunter

Is there a warm water Spring in that creek ?
I've seen many a dead frozen Snook in my time.
We lost more than Thousands bout 10 /15 years ago way down here in far Glades Country.

Mexican Squealer

I know this is a 2008 thread, but I was casting for bait in a estuary mud hole off of Harris Neck Road two days last week, and caught over 10 baby snook each day. At two to 4 inches they must be breeding in this area. I was surprised.

Got any pics of these snook?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
There is a kid on YouTube that catches them in Golf Course ponds on St. Simons. He catches some decent baby tarpon too in those ponds. Of course they are ponds that have culverts going to the marshes.