Anyone use the 260 Rem to hunt deer?

I agree........just saying. The real point is the 260 leaves little room for bad shots. Not that that is an excuse, people kill deer with 223's every year. There is just not a lot of room for error.

Which caliber would you suggest has a lot of room for bad shots?

WTM45

There is not a nickles worth of difference in the killing power, energy, drop, room for shot error, or any other factor, between the .308, 7-08, and the 260:huh:

Well, one has the ability to deliver heavier bullets for less wind drift.............:D

Buzz

I agree........just saying. The real point is the 260 leaves little room for bad shots. Not that that is an excuse, people kill deer with 223's every year. There is just not a lot of room for error.

The thought that a .260 Remington is in anyway shape or form marginal for deer is a bad joke. There isn't a penny worth a difference in game performance between the .260 Remington and a 7mm/08, or about 20 other chamberings for that matter. :cheers:

Bowyer29

No reason for the 260 since there is the 7mm-08 IMO. On a side note I know of a nice buck that was shot in the neck that fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes. As the hunter ejected the shell and was sitting there admiring his nice buck, it stood up and walked off. We never found it nor nor any sign of it.

Well, no disrespect but it was not hit well! 22 LR and Mag to the neck is a dead deer, 260 is much better. I hit one in the neck at 60 yards, looked like the site of a mass killing, blew stuff everywhere! I hit them behind the shoulder, and they drop like a ton of bricks. I saw and see no difference in teh way a deer reacts to a .308 150gr partition and a .260 140 gr Gameking.

Randy

Which caliber would you suggest has a lot of room for bad shots?

Well I have see the 300mag do some nasty stuff. Or that I shoot one or even want to but I saw one bow a deers head off from a shoot in the neck. I also saw a doe fall over dead from what I thought was a perfct shot from 350 yards. But when we got to her she had been hit in the back thigh. It is not necessarily the caliber or the power of the cartridge but the construction of the bullet. And when you get to lighter caliber manufactured rounds are for small game and varmints.

bublewis

I've shot several 260's, and I think it's a nice little round. A friend of mine hunted with a 7-08 for years until the 260 came out; I sold him a 700 Ti. in it, and he loves it. I believe that he has mainly used 120gr BT's. I like the 125gr NP's and 140 SBT's too. The 260 never caught on much. I think this is because it just doesn't offer anything new or better for deer hunting; target shooting, maybe, but not for deer hunting. Anymore people expect a caliber to kill and bury a deer all at once. What's the big deal? If it runs 25 yds., it'll tag and bag just the same.

Last edited:

30-338

Hotdog, since you mentioned reloading for the 260, I'll write out my dealings with it. I know somebody with one and I worked up a load for his gun. It has been very effective on deer. He is using a Model 700 Rem with a 22" or 24" barrel. I settled on the 120 grain Sierra prohunter and Hodgdon 4831. I tried H414, but couldn't get a good group with it. According to the Hodgdon manual 50 grains of 4831 is the max with the 120 grain bullets. I ended up getting the best group with 49.5 grains of H4831, a WLR primer, and an overall length of 2.770. As you know, follow the Hodgdon manual and start at the suggested starting point and work up. I know someone with a Ruger 77 and H4831 also shot well in his gun. I hope this helps.

bear-229

my son shoots a ruger compact 260 with managed recoil's.
very SWEET shooting gun.

he has pulled the trigger 1 time and has 1 dead deer.

i was looking for a 7-08 when i bought it. but love it now. i want another for my other son.

leoparddog

I traded mine here on Woody's that I had for years. A very sweet shooting deer rifle. If your buddy can't shoot, it just don't matter what he's shooting. Here's a lesson from many of us to him via you. "Don't shoot deer in the neck". I killed over a dozen deer with mine and all of them died very effectively. I reloaded for mine and decided that the 120gr NBTs were a bit too frangible, but I never lost a deer to one..

Differences between a 260/7mm-08/308? Well many 1000 yard target shooters are going to the 260 for less drop and less winddrift than the 308 and I've never heard of any competing with the 7mm-08 at all. I have shot my 260 and 308 at the range together on the same day. The 260 DOES have less recoil which is a bonus for some folks. It was very pleasant to shoot.

Randy

I've never heard of any competing with the 7mm-08 at all.

Not sure what kind of target shooters you are talking about but the 7mm-08 was invented/wildcatted originally as a target round for the pistol shooters shooting the long rams.

Buzz

It seems to me that the 6.5x284 is far more popular amongst the benchrest crowd than the 7mm/08 because it will shoot considerably flatter with the VLD style bullets than the 7mm/08, as will the .260 Remington. The 140g Berger VLD in a 0.264 has a BC of 0.612 and a 7mm bore can't compete with that until you get to over 160g. The 7mm/08 case doesn't have the juice to drive the bullet to the speed of the 140g VLD in either of the 0.264" rounds not to mention the heavier bullet would present more recoil and the limited number of benchrest folks I know would certainly welcome less recoil for similar or better performance. Simply put the .260 Remington and 6.5x284 are awesome long range target rounds.

georgiaboy

It seems to me that the 6.5x284 is far more popular amongst the benchrest crowd than the 7mm/08 because it will shoot considerably flatter with the VLD style bullets than the 7mm/08, as will the .260 Remington. The 140g Berger VLD in a 0.264 has a BC of 0.612 and a 7mm bore can't compete with that until you get to over 160g. The 7mm/08 case doesn't have the juice to drive the bullet to the speed of the 140g VLD in either of the 0.264" rounds not to mention the heavier bullet would present more recoil and the limited number of benchrest folks I know would certainly welcome less recoil for similar or better performance. Simply put the .260 Remington and 6.5x284 are awesome long range target rounds.

Great post!

sriviere

I'm working up 260 loads using the 130g Nosler Accubond in a Ruger M77 bolt action rifle. I've got RL17, RL15, Varget and IMR4320 powders but I've only found listings for RL15. Can anyone provide some alternatives?

jglenn

H414 or Win 760 are great choices. middle burning powders work very well with the 260.