Rick Camp

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rick Camp gone at 60. Know he hit some hard times late in life, but I will never forget the homer he he hit in that marathon game in 85. I was in Atlanta watching it on TV and stayed up dang near to dawn that night. Think we ran out of beer before it was over. One of those Braves moments that I will never forget. RIP Rick.

westcobbdog

That was a crazy game, he was just a terrible hitting pitcher, and the Braves were really bad in those days, making that all the more crazy. Jeez Darryl Cheney and Pat Rocket as SS, really? Camp was the absolute last player available to pinch hit that night. Fireworks at 4am woke a few neighbors up! Sorry to see Rick's passing, he was a good ol' Georgia Boy.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Rick Camp gone at 60. Know he hit some hard times late in life, but I will never forget the homer he he hit in that marathon game in 85. I was in Atlanta watching it on TV and stayed up dang near to dawn that night. Think we ran out of beer before it was over. One of those Braves moments that I will never forget. RIP Rick.
I loved Rick and the braves of that era.
Was that a game against St. Louis? I vaguely remember a game lasting so long that they ran out of pitchers and a shortstop or outfielder was pitching for the cardinals.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I beleve it was against the Mets and they eventually won it.

biggdogg

It was against the Mets. And that game also got the ball rolling for Atlanta's noise ordinance...

golffreak

Yep, the ol' 4th of July game with pre-dawn fireworks. They were terrible, but I wouldn't trade growing up watching those split broadcast TBS games for anything.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I believe if memory serves me right that Larry Munson did some of the early broadcast too.

Barry Duggan

Was driving from middle Georgia, to Palmetto, Fl. that night. Tuned in all the way...great game...unbelievable ending.

Tim L

For a short time he was one of the better relievers in the NL; had a little success as a starter. Being a sinkerball pitcher, he was more effective when tired. Seems like there are lots of ML players from Georgia now but when Camp played (and earlier) they were rare; when one made it to the bigs it was a big deal.

ddavis1120

Going to the game Saturday and wearing my number 37 jersey loud and proud on Rick's birthday; RIP.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

That was a heck of a game. I made it to about 1 am and passed out.

The Braves of the 80's were mediocre at best but I just couldn't bring myself to hate them. Loved me some Dale Murphy. Got a baseball with his autograph.