Big Snake

Kimber300

This six footer is the biggest water moccasin I've ever seen. He actually struck me just above the ankle as I stepped over a log. Luckily I was wearing my new Lacrosse snakeproof boots for the 1st time. My buddy and I were scouting on a deer lease in Troup County near a swampy area.

Attachments

• 1498144064821.jpg
    1498144064821.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 4,988
  • 20150613_212108-1.jpg
    20150613_212108-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4,726

Jeff Raines

That is a big snake,but the position of the eyes looks more like a water snake.
A moccasin's eyes are more on the side of it's face.Water snake's eyes are closer to the top.

IMHO

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m reasonable sure that`s a banded watersnake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hey Nic,,,, is a watersnakes bite as bad as a moccasins?

It`s non venomous, but all those teeth designed to hold fish and other prey can leave a nasty bite that is prone to infection if not properly cared for.

A moccasin bite can be serious.

Cmp1

BANNED
It`s non venomous, but all those teeth designed to hold fish and other prey can leave a nasty bite that is prone to infection if not properly cared for.

A moccasin bite can be serious.

Moccasins in southern mi,,,, not up here,,,,

southernman13

I would say banded water as well and would be the biggest one I've ever seen. I've caught a good many of them back in Fl. I was on mossy dell rd today and had a beautiful coach whip in the road. I swerved to go around and the dude behind me ran him over. Really ticked me off. What a beautiful snake it was. That's the second one I've seen in that area. Not very often you see coach whips

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a water snake to me also.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Water Snakes have a nasty bite... had a 5fter latch on to me when I was 15. It was my fault, I grabbed him a little too far back behind his head...... lol. It ripped me up pretty good.

deerhuntingdawg

Like the others, I think it's a huge banded water snake

Redbow

Banded water Snake..I have seen many down in the swamps of SC just as big as that one..Up at the head of Santee Coopers Lake Marion the Rimini area of the lake holds some huge ones..

My neighbor told me a couple days ago about a water Moccasin on his back door steps when he went out to go to work last week...I asked him what color was the Snake? He said black and kinda greenish as well. I told him it was a green rat Snake more than likely but he being from Minnesota every Snake around here is a water moccasin and with lots of other people also..

little rascal

That is a Buster!

I agree with others it does look more like a water snake.
However, I hunted Troup County for years and never thought there were cottonmouths until one morning scouting before bow season I almost stepped on what I thought was a young one while crossing a creek. I stepped back and tried to catch it and flipped it on the bank a couple times with a tree pruner but it final got away. A couple hours later I approached the same crossing on my return and stopped to scour the creek from above before I crossed. I didn't see anything in my crossing but when I stepped back, whoa, there was a large snake laying length wise that I almost stood on. I found a limb quickly and got it's head down and caught it.
No doubt, it was more drab colored than the brightly colored juveniles like I saw earlier. It opened its mouth while I held it behind it's head and the white mouth and 2 fangs told the story. I remember saying what am I gonna do with this thing now? A mile walk back to the truck holding this, no I don't think so, nobody's gonna believe it, so I chunked it in the creek. I didn't come back with out my snake boots. I crossed that creek 50 times and beaverdams in the dark and never suspected they were there.
Couple guys found something dead poisonous in the road a season before that and brought it back to camp, I remember it had pits and slitted eyes, didn't look like normal cottonmouth and it wasn't a copperhead, nor rattler, but it was venomous! So yeah, Troup has Cottonmouth. Seen a big moccasin in a tree at Franklin once that was almost as big as the one your holding, I would have swore it was a cottonmouth but I didn't catch it.