Best bass fishing rods?

fishcross

I've got some old Allstar, a St Croix and the balance of my rods are the Academy Ethos store brand. The blue ones. For the money, these are great rods. You may want to check them out.

Are you talking about the nano $99 or micro $69 on the blue ethos rods?

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Just an update, I picked up two 7'6 MH Blackout rods for cranking and Carolina rigging. and decided to go with a 7'3MH Duckett Ghost for worms jigs, and skirted baits like chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. Next on my list is a finesse spinning setup and another baitcaster for flipping and frog fishing.

If anyone is interested, tackle warehouse is still doing a memorial day sale. The blackout rods are double marked down now. $46 and free shipping over $50.

slingshot86

Duckett Ghost is awesome. For the money , Skeet rods are good . Ducketts have greater sensitivity. New DG in my immediate future.

Eugene Stinson

I bought one No. 8 Blackout months ago when TW first marked them down $54. They marked them down to $46 less than 2 weeks later and I ordered 2 more. They even gave me a credit of the difference in the 2 prices after I called them because it was less than 2 weeks. I like them very much and now I own 8 total. Both casting and spinning. I think they are in the $100 to $129 price class rods. For 46 bucks, how could you go wrong? Thinking about picking up one more if they have the one I want left. Going to go check now.

Scout'nStripers

I've used the St Croix Mojo Bass and Duckett Ghost rods. I really like the St Croix but the eyelets started to break down over time. The Duckett Ghost has been a great rod and no complaints. Now I'm using Enigma rods and really like them. They are lighter and use a little different system of micro guides. I've been using the 7'3" Enigma Phenom for my topwater bass and stripers and the backbone in these rods are tough to beat. The Enigma rods are priced reasonably so it might be worth a look.

JohnK

I've got some old Allstar, a St Croix and the balance of my rods are the Academy Ethos store brand. The blue ones. For the money, these are great rods. You may want to check them out.

I need a couple of rods and checked these out since you posted this. I like 'em for the money. I swear the guides and handles were out of line on some of the more expensive rods mentioned in this post. I've seen some I liked better but they were twice as much too.Thanks.

1996stratos

I bought one of the Duckett rods when they first came out. It is the 7 ft 6 inch cranking rod with the tiny micro guides. I have had the insert come out of the tip eyelet and one other eye on the rod. I took it to nutter rod and reel and he replaced both and added some glue epoxy or whatever they use to strengthen up the other guides. I think this was a common problem on the first ones that has been corrected. It is a awesome rod for throwing crankbaits. I have thrown top water with it. Where it really shines is throwing the fishhead spin type lures. I feel everything and the rod gives just the right amount to let the fish get the fishhead before loading up. I think you would be happy with a Duckett. St. Croix rods are awesome also. I don't own any but I like them.

billfish3r

I know this is an old thread but if youre fishing for bass in 2020 I would recommend the KastKing Perigee II Spinning Rod. So far the best bass fishing rod in my years of fishing.

Last edited:

scottpriest

I have a couple Duckett Ghosts both in casting and spinning and love them! I also have one of their Silverado Crankbait rods I am using and really like it too.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Falcon 7’3” have 3
Okuma 7’5 have 1
Abu Garcia Vendetta 7’6” have 1
Abu Garcia Veritas 7’9” have 1
Daiwa Tatula Elite 7’1 (skip rod) have 1
All Star 7’6” have 1
13 Fishing 7’11” have 1
Skeet Reese 7’2” have 1
H20 Express Ethos Nanos 7’6” have 1
7’ Halo, Falcon, Abu, Skeet Reese have 6

All perform very well and I fish 3-4 times a week and tournaments!

Will prolly buy another 7’11 before fishing season.
Have 1 more new Daiwa Tatula HD reel I need to put on a rod!

Last edited:

Papa Bear

Lot of good rods mentioned. I really like my St Croix rods. Typically use the St Croix Avid and Premier models but bought one of there cheaper Bass X rods last year and been really impressed.
Dobyns rods also really good quality too.

brdyhll

I love my st. Croix rods. They’ve been great to me. I’d stay away from the carrot sticks. I’ve seen them break easy. My dad had one and the feel from it with finesse lures wasn’t even close to that of my st. Croix

sbroadwell

I saw this thread and was gonna post in it. But, I saw I already did, back when it started - had totally forgotten.
If you ever get your hands on a true custom rod, one built specifically for you, you will never go back to any factory rod. I still think St. Croix is about the only rod company that really does a good job.
When I first started building rods, I was floored by how much better my fishing got. Ended up giving away all my factory rods, and I have only used ones that I made for about 15 years now.
I've sorta taken a hiatus from rodbuilding, regular job too demanding. Someday, though, I will retire and get back into rods.

crackerdave

I saw this thread and was gonna post in it. But, I saw I already did, back when it started - had totally forgotten.
If you ever get your hands on a true custom rod, one built specifically for you, you will never go back to any factory rod. I still think St. Croix is about the only rod company that really does a good job.
When I first started building rods, I was floored by how much better my fishing got. Ended up giving away all my factory rods, and I have only used ones that I made for about 15 years now.
I've sorta taken a hiatus from rodbuilding, regular job too demanding. Someday, though, I will retire and get back into rods.
Mr.Broadwell is a master rod builder,for those who don't know.He built me a dandy flyrod.

goshenmountainman

I own a few lews rods, a couple Diawa rods and reels, and 19 duckett fishing rods, ghost and Triad, they are all about equal... go to the Classic, they usually run some very good deals in the exhibition.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Either Sixgill or Castaway for me. I do have a few other odd and ends around, but they don't get much use anymore.

bvi

The rods mentioned here considered "the best" in low budget category or overall?