Supplemental feeders

OleRed15

Alright guys I'm in the market for an economical protein pellet/corn gravity feeder and looking for some pros and cons from yall on which one you think would be better.
I have a ton of hogs on my land and I'm gonna shy away from trough feeders and from gravity feeders with legs like the Boss Buck because they will end up knocking it over or shaking the legs to get all the feed out.

Either the Redneck T-post feeder, the Banks outdoors 40 lb feed bank or the Banks outdoors 300 lb feed bank ? They can all be mounted to trees, or post which will keep the hogs from tearing it up and I can adjust the height to allow only deer to feed out of it.

Any help or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

GSUbackwoods

6" PVC pipe and fittings, large zip-ties for attaching to the trees. Simple and cheaper than the purchased items.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have never fed deer I only attract them. This is what I use and 2 fifty pound bags of corn will last 2 plus months. You can get one for around $100 dollars and the 6 volt lantern battery will last about 3 years.

gt40

Attachments

• WGI_0202.jpg
    WGI_0202.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 400

GottaGetOutdoors

I am field testing one of these and so far it has kept coons and hogs out. Mounts on single 4x4 post. Holds 300 # of feed. Inverted cone in the bottom keeps grain gravity flowing to the four spouts. The guy sells them on Craigslist Nashville for about $170.

Attachments

• 00606_iySOLgKAI43_600x450.jpg
    00606_iySOLgKAI43_600x450.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Elkbane

Two complaints. Since the hopper has a square shape, most of the time pellets and dust stack up in the corners and don't dribble out of the holes in the bottom which feed the feeding tubes. The built up product means lower effective internal capacity, meaning you have to fill it up more often. Occasionally, you'll have to clean out the corners of caked up moldy pellets. The round shape of the boss buck feeders doesn't collect, since there are no corners - when they are empty, they are really empty.

Also, the bolt/wingnut that holds on the feed tubes is hard to get to and tighten up.

Other than that they work fine. Put the post in the ground plenty deep - bumping the post while filling up will get it off-kilter and the feed drop works best if the post is absolutely vertical.

ELkbane

OleRed15

Two complaints. Since the hopper has a square shape, most of the time pellets and dust stack up in the corners and don't dribble out of the holes in the bottom which feed the feeding tubes. The built up product means lower effective internal capacity, meaning you have to fill it up more often. Occasionally, you'll have to clean out the corners of caked up moldy pellets. The round shape of the boss buck feeders doesn't collect, since there are no corners - when they are empty, they are really empty.

Also, the bolt/wingnut that holds on the feed tubes is hard to get to and tighten up.

Other than that they work fine. Put the post in the ground plenty deep - bumping the post while filling up will get it off-kilter and the feed drop works best if the post is absolutely vertical.

ELkbane

Thanks for the insight on the feeder.. do you have a lot of issues with moisture clogging it up around the ends of the feed ports or is it mostly inside the hopper around the square corners?

Elkbane

No real moisture problems with them on inside. The top has a lip on it that covers the hopper pretty well. No real problem with moisture in the feed tubes - the deer keep them pretty well cleaned out.

Again, the only problem is product stacking in the corners of the hopper, which eventually will get stale, clump up and harden. I've started banging on the sides to loosen this stuff up and let it flow into the tubes before I refill it, and that seems to be working OK.

Elkbane