Boat Trailer Registration

hb_hound

Picked up a boat and trailer a year or so ago. Scraped the boat and was going to use the trailer for a project, but never got around to it.
I'm now looking to sell the trailer and thinking I need to go through the registration process before the sale.
How do I register a trailer that does not have a visible S/N?
Can I sell without the registration?
20170626_110116.jpg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One solution would be to declare it a home made trailer.

The buyer could do this and his county folks would give them a serial number to affix to the trailer.

Jim Baker

Staff member
No tag on the trailer I guess.

Trailers in Georgia up to a certain length(18 ft I think) do not have to be titled but must be registered. Meaning have a tag so they can collect the taxes.

Call your local tag office. They can help you. If you know the name and address of the previous owner they can sometimes run down the last tag number and tag receipt.

I would register it before selling, will make everything easier.

I have registered a couple as homemade, but I know the tag agent personally.

If you have a BOS that is even better.

obadiah

You can sell it without the registration, or go through the hassle to register it. Get a form from tag office, call police and they will send an officer out. He may send you back to tag office to get an assigned SN and a different form and then you call police again after you rivet SN on frame. Go back to tag office, turn in papers, give them money, leave with tag (minimum two trips to tag office and one visit from your local law enforcement in my experience)

hb_hound

Thanks for the help, looks like I'm making a trip to the tag office tomorrow. Hopefully get a tag and then list it for sale.

GA native

It's not that difficult to register a trailer as homemade. You can print off the paperwork needed from https://dor.georgia.gov/homemade-trailer-registration .

When I did it, I took an affidavit to a notary, swore that I didn't steal it, and paid the man. Took that and the rest of the paperwork to the tag office. They sold me a tag and a VIN plate I had to affix to the trailer.