Best ga counties

Chadx1981

What are the best counties in ga for a late rut? I prolly won't be doing much hunting in ga till after mid nov and wondering where my best chances at a big buck would be during the later part of the season? If anyone has a lease in the area of the sort I could be interested and feel free to private message me. Thanks in advance!

Chad

DeoVindice

That's a good question. I have hunted a good portion of the state and none of those places are exceptional late in the season. I will say that where I hunt now, in Marion County is pretty good. If (a big IF) you see a deer in the late season chances are about 50/50 it will be a buck. In the past 3 seasons our biggest bucks killed were taken in the last week of December. One of them grossed 163"...the others were over 140"...I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen down there in January. He still haunts me. Still, there isn't much action at all down there late season. It can get exciting very quickly, though...You've got to stay ready.

The mtn man

Extreme north east counties. North Carolina border. Not many deer, but rut can be strong as late as January.

Pessell Creek

My wife has family in Thomas and Grady counties. From what I've experienced, the rut down there is usually around mid to late December.

livetohunt

Any counties in SW Georgia. Also, Heard county can have a late rut...Or you could go just over the state line and hunt Alabama. They have a January rut.

satchmo

We had a fantastic rut in lat,late December in Chattooga county. Our club was in Lyerly . We would see it pick up with a lot of chasing after Christmas . It's The only reason we ditched that lease, we needed January badly . There are some giants that get to live a long time in Chattooga county.

joedublin

Mid-December to first part of January Grady County is a hot bed of rut activity. Last 3 years have been really exceptional for big bucks chasin' does.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What are the best counties in ga for a late rut? I prolly won't be doing much hunting in ga till after mid nov and wondering where my best chances at a big buck would be during the later part of the season? If anyone has a lease in the area of the sort I could be interested and feel free to private message me. Thanks in advance!

Chad

This might help:

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/rut-map