Razorback Ridge Hog Hunting Preserve

huntemwfo

Need all the information and help on opening my hunting preserve that I can get. Breaking ground clearing for fencing after deer season is over. I need some resources for fencing contractors or fencing materials as well as info. on obtaining hogs.

Last edited:

huntemwfo

Thanks hawg dawg. I need to find a good fencing company to price a 200 acre inclosure. Also some information on how to obtain hogs or where to buy them. I am also trying to find a way to see what the demand for a hog hunting preserve would be without stepping on any toes. Wanting to help start youth hunters especially.

hawg dawg

You need to find someone who has a ferral swine holding facility listed through the Dept. of Agriculture. These people have hogs you can buy legally that have been tested by the state and have a clean bill of health. Hope this helps.

REDMOND1858

Where you locating it?? Shayne Aarington/ Heart of Georgia fencing is the best in the business. he does almost all the high fencing around here.

hound1973

200 acre hunting preserve. That's more like a pig pen and shooting fish in a barrel than a hunting preserve.

huntemwfo

I new I would catch some heat by posting this but all comments both positive and negative are welcome. I only have 250 acres. If I had more land with tons of wild game or plenty of $, I would already be offering free range hunts. I know that this will not be for everyone but I believe that there a lot of people who don't have the time or the knowledge for regular seasonal hunting. I think I can give a great hunt for experienced as well as inexperienced hunters with my land and its terrain. I cant explain too much or it will sound like advertising. I just need some usefull information to help me in building my preserve. Thank you hound1973 for your reply.

hound1973

Good luck to you anyway though. I respect the fact your up front and say how it is unlike other people I met who either have a 30-100 acre pen and tell people its all free range hogs who are very elusive, or other people who have partners hiding in the woods to release a hog out of a cage at a certain time so the hunter is "guaranteed" to get a hog, so long as your up front and honest with people...go for it.

psycosoninlaw1

You might want to think about handicap hunts as well. There's alot of us out here that still like to hunt, even mildly to severely handicapped. I would love to free range hunt, but can't walk or climb that good.

huntemwfo

You might want to think about handicap hunts as well. There's alot of us out here that still like to hunt, even mildly to severely handicapped. I would love to free range hunt, but can't walk or climb that good.

That is exactly what I am planning. I can taylor hunts to the needs of the hunter and still keep it a challenging, rewarding hunt. I will work hard to make it as much like free range hunting according to the hunters experience, age, and physical abilities. Handicap hunts, parent child hunts, first timers, veteran hunters, as well as dog hunters for training or just want a place to run hogs. Thanks for the ideas. keep them coming! Still looking for someone with experience in preserve hunting for info. Need to pick your brain.

crackercurr21

i think this is a great idea man i grew up on 500 acres in swfl and always had kids wanting to come hunt with me from school and stuff my parents didnt have any high fence or anything but were always willing to take people out on our property and help them no matter my friends for the 1st time or them and their parents who are both first timers so i think that you are doing something good for the community keep it up man sry no info on the preserve
and hound1973 i know where ur coming from in some saltwater tourney we have back home for snook some of those sorry people will catch a snook and put it in a wire cage for a day then go get it and win a tourney i know how ya feel that is bull but i dont think that is where he is trying to get at dont know either one of ya but if all ya got is 200 hundred acres then do it to it man help the ones who dont have the opportunity or the outdoors smarts/ physical ablities to do it on the wma's great thing man hope it turns out for ya

Last edited by a moderator:

reel2rifle

I am just thinking out loud here but your starting a business with a large site or track land to conduct the operation with new supporting buildings to conduct the business, and other needed improvements to make all this happen. Oh ya, high risk operation with alot of liability if not properly released on the front end.

You may have already thought about some of the following items
but you asked. The following things come to mind:

1. Develop a master layout plan of the property with building locations, property boudarys, and access to the site from the nearest hardball road. Use this plan as a tool to explain your business.

2. Get the local officials and other folks involved early on, depending on the county they may have some ordinances regulating a hunting preserve.

3. Get a lawyer.

4. Get a Civil engineer that has developed in the county before if your constructing new buildings to support your business. He can help with permiting, drafting the layout plan, and other needed construction plans and support you at offical meetings.

5. Get a Insurance Agent and large bond in case someone gets hurt and workmans comp for permanent employess

6. Be prepared to support your operation at county council meeting.

7. Oh ya, a banker.

Hope this helps and good luck. I believe the handicap hunts would be nice touch to a real first class operation. May be getting involved with Wound Warriors would even be the icing on the cake.

huntemwfo

I am just thinking out loud here but your starting a business with a large site or track land to conduct the operation with new supporting buildings to conduct the business, and other needed improvements to make all this happen. Oh ya, high risk operation with alot of liability if not properly released on the front end.

You may have already thought about some of the following items
but you asked. The following things come to mind:

1. Develop a master layout plan of the property with building locations, property boudarys, and access to the site from the nearest hardball road. Use this plan as a tool to explain your business.

2. Get the local officials and other folks involved early on, depending on the county they may have some ordinances regulating a hunting preserve.

3. Get a lawyer.

4. Get a Civil engineer that has developed in the county before if your constructing new buildings to support your business. He can help with permiting, drafting the layout plan, and other needed construction plans and support you at offical meetings.

5. Get a Insurance Agent and large bond in case someone gets hurt and workmans comp for permanent employess

6. Be prepared to support your operation at county council meeting.

7. Oh ya, a banker.

Hope this helps and good luck. I believe the handicap hunts would be nice touch to a real first class operation. May be getting involved with Wound Warriors would even be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the thoughts! Got most covered except #2, and didnt think of #6. Wounded Warriors is a great Idea! I want this to be a respectable place for all to come and enjoy.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks hawg dawg. I need to find a good fencing company to price a 200 acre inclosure. Also some information on how to obtain hogs or where to buy them. I am also trying to find a way to see what the demand for a hog hunting preserve would be without stepping on any toes. Wanting to help start youth hunters especially.

As far as Demand goes, I see adds ALL THE TIME for Hog Hunts, Turkey etc.....BUT NONE are where you are that I have seen. There Maybe a few near you, I have not done a scientific Study or nothing, but IMHO, I think the one in your back yard may be the PERFECT LOCATION! I am excited for you and I see Capitalism at work!! Go Brother Go!!:flag:

I would say "Go For It" i support the idea of it 100%, i live about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from there and would love to have some where close like that to hunt when deer season is open... i could even help out on weekends if needed, i could help guide or whatever is needed... i would be honored to lend my time and dogs to help

COUNTRY MIKE

As far as pen size according to wwt recordbooks an incloser hog can make it as long as its at least 100 acers