Thoughts on Honda Four Wheelers *UPDATE* I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Sterlo58

Buy a Honda ( any one that suits you ) and buy it here:
Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga. You will get a new one for a price that rivals used ones around here. It will last you forever.

willc2412

Buy a Honda ( any one that suits you ) and buy it here:
Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga. You will get a new one for a price that rivals used ones around here. It will last you forever.

Thats where I got mine....And you might want to call and see if they have an older model at discount because I got up there and they had an older model and they gave me about a 950$ off the normal price of the 2x4 but mine came with a winch so I ended up saving a good 1400 or so......Its always worth a call

dixiejacket

Atv

Had a Yamaha, sold it and bought a Honda. Can't wait to get back to Yamaha. The Honda is very adverse to cold weather.

fd123

Does this answer your ???

Honda all the way!!!!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• 022212090624.jpg
    022212090624.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 2,270

poohbear

Bought a 86 350 4x4 I usually only ride during hunting season but runs as good today as when I got it good machines

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a 1999 300 4X4 that I bought new. All I have done since then is change oil & filter every year, battery (3) and grease. It still runs like the day I bought it. Even starts like the day I bought it after sitting 6 months which isn't very often.

gt40

whitetaco02

If I go to Chattanooga this weekend to get the Rancher, will I have to pay anything to GA since I bought it in Tenn?

Is there some sort of tax that I have to pay?

Robert28

If I go to Chattanooga this weekend to get the Rancher, will I have to pay anything to GA since I bought it in Tenn?

Is there some sort of tax that I have to pay?

yeah GA will find you eventually and send you a nice little tax bill. you think Uncle Sam isn't gonna get his share?:bounce: that's how the places in TN and MS can charge such low prices, they aren't figuring in tax. one way around it here in SC is if you are buying the atv for farm use in which you sign off on a paper. ask the dealer about it when you arrive. oh and those places will try to upsell you on accessories so be ready for that.

zedex

Gator Bait
Advice from a former Honda/Kawasaki/Polaris dealership manager:

The ES models {ES=electric shift} are prone to issues if used in alot of water for extended periods. The shift atcuator can get wet. If you go this route, I suggest a thin layer of sealant around the housing. Also, if there is a malfunction of the shift motor, there is an easily installed, removable shift arm in the "trunk". Also, if used in steep inclines or pulling heavy loads, they tend to not shift very well.

Manual shifts have not had any issues at all.

As for size, consider what you weigh, the amount of weight you will be hauling regularly and the terrain involved. Never get anything more than you need, but certainly get one with enough power.

Four wheel drive units cost more at the door and each time service/repair is required, so if you will not need it, don't spend the dough. Also, 4X4 units do not turn as easily or tightly as the 2WD counterparts.

Some units are available as "automatic" transmissions. Partially true, they are more of a variable rate transmission or hydrostatic type. The history shows the "you shift it" units to have fewer problems. If buying a unit that uses a belt for CVT actuation, have the dealer throw in an extra belt. { They normally cost around $50-100}

If you plan to do alot of "stump-jumping" or "water-skipping", look for an ATV with fewer electronics. The old adage of water and electricity is very true.

You should also consider future add-ons. These are the options, factory or aftermarket, that you may wish to have later on. Be sure to buy one that will allow what you may desire to have later, for example: winches.. is the unit you are looking at capable of mounting one? Winter canopy?? Twist throttle as opposed to thumb control? Gun rack?? Utility box?.... I suggest looking at the wide variety of optional equipment and deciding what you would install , then find the one unit that can handle it.

Ride height or ground clearance. Do you intend to load it down so as to compress the suspension? Will you run over or around that fallen tree? Use it in a rocky area? Do you anticipate getting air under all four tires??

There are some fine ATV's in the market. Not just Honda, but all of them, really. Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris.... each has a model for different uses and no one ATV can do it all. People such as myself need at least two- one sport unit and one utility. I like speed and I like raw power. Some I prefer automatic, some I prefer as a "you shift it". It depends on the prescribed application at that particular time.

To be honest, though, 10 years ago, you could not give me a Polaris ATV- even if you included a $100 bill. They constantly broke and the Trail Boss 325's came straight out of the box needing a new engine. Their computer system was worse than horrible.

But, today's Polaris models are very well built, sturdy and stout and reliable. By comparison, Honda's utility units are grossly underpowered. Parts and service are harder to come by for Polaris, however.

Kawasaki has some fast units- even the utility ones are fast. Suzukis and Yamaha units are fast and reliable, too, but I noticed they are a bit heavier, too.

Now, as pointed out above, look for left overs. The dealer gets between 30 and 90 days to sell a unit. After that, they are charged a "flooring fee" for each month it sat unsold. Each month it sits, is less profit margin. Soon enough, all profit is consumed { no "buy back programs"} and then they go upside down on that unit. It needs to sell now. This is in your favor.

Be upfront about it. Explain that you know they are losing money if they don't cut you a deal. Take off shipping and PDI charges, throw in some gear and maybe even cut your price.

PDI is a scam in my opinion. You are charged for them to finnish building it { 1 hour} and that charge is usually around $300-500. All that needed to be done is install wheels, set handle bars, add oil and gas, install battery and seat. And, you cannot buy it without PDI being done.

Now, if you decide to buy new, buy NEW. Do not buy the one driven in and out everyday. That ain't new. Ask the salesperson to show you the units still in boxes. Pick one from there. This way, you know you are not buying one beat up by some kid builder. It is fresh. I have fired alot of builders for "testing" the limits of a new unit- units that had to be sold to customers and a few times, crashed and repaired before a sale. Buy ONLY from the box.

If offered a service such as a "no worry program" or the like, do not buy it. As long as you buy your supplies from the dealership and keep accurate records, doing basic service will not void your warranty. Keep all reciepts and records. If your unit has an hour meter, record that on each reciept.

This was long winded, but expirience is more than just a few lines

rjcruiser

Is the 250 enough? Is it worth it for the upgrade to a Rancher 420?

I think it is plenty. Mine goes plenty fast for me....will carry me and my deer...and more.

But...I don't weigh 350 lbs either.

I think 250cc is plenty, but today, bigger is better it seems and 4 wheelers are getting bigger all the time.

rjcruiser

Would you all buy used?

I did a couple of years ago...but now...not sure.

Why? Because it seems like used 4 wheelers are about the price of new ones these days.

If you can find a used one for a decent deal, go for it. If not, buy new.

Robert28

I'd buy used if it made sense. I wasn't going to spend $6,000-$10,000 on another new machine since i've had two stolen from me in the past 2 years. I had always wanted a honda fourtrax 300 but one's in good shape at a good price are RARE. i'd seen them go anywhere from $1,800-$2,800(some 2wd's were even MORE then my 4x4 in the same shape). if you're wanting to find an older atv then you can find a deal used. however if you're looking at one that's 2-4 years old the price usually isn't much different then used, just depends on the person. some have the title in hand and can stand to lose some money on the sale, others still owe like $8,500 on a $10,000 atv that's 3 years old and are trying to sell it for what they owe on it....that's tough.

Tank1202

I have bought 3 Hondas from Powersports in Tenn, all dirt related machines. 2 quads and 1 dirtbike 05,07 and an 08. Georgia has never come knocking at my door for tax money. They will if you buy a street bike, you have to go get a tag. You can also google "Honda foreman forum" and ask all the questions you have.
I have a Foreman ES. Going on four years and have hade no problems with the electric shift. It starts on cold mornings with the choke. You can have the best of both worlds with the select button for 2 or 4 wd. And for 2012 the foreman is now fuel injected. My son has a Recon and he is 12 it is a small quad by size,but it will haul my large body anywhere.

whitetaco02

Looks like I may be going this Saturday to get the rancher 420. I think I may be going the 2x4 route with a winch. I just don't think I am going to need the 4x4???
Thoughts?
Still worried about the tax issue??

Robert28

Looks like I may be going this Saturday to get the rancher 420. I think I may be going the 2x4 route with a winch. I just don't think I am going to need the 4x4???
Thoughts?
Still worried about the tax issue??

the 420 would be a fine choice! not a thing wrong with a 2wd if you think it'll do what you want. may I suggest getting a 2500 lb winch on it though. they'll tell you a 2000 lb will do fine but that extra 500 lbs is always a good thing and it's not much more expensive really. usually they have better deals on 2500 lb winches because those are the popular size. also, I would be prepared to spend the money on some rear more aggressive tires in the future. don't have to do it right away, try the stock ones out first to see how they do but I bet once you get in a little mud and get tired of pushing, pulling, winching your atv out alot because of gummed up tires you'll be back here asking "what's a good mud tire?":bounce:

fd123

come get my 300 4x4 (the green 1 in the pic) and keep it for a weekend and ride it till you cant ride it anymore.. and i assure you that youll jump all over the the deal i offered you on it!! IM SERIOUS!! (( NO MUDD BOGGING ON MY STUFF THOUGH.. lol..)) I also picked up an 86 350 4x4 in awesome condition, and its a MONSTER also...

fd123

1986 HONDA 350 Foreman fourtrax 4x4

This thing is a power house and a little smaller than the 300 in size...PERFECT for getting in tight and narrow places that those Huge newer models cant attemp to go through!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• fourtrax 350 007.JPG
    fourtrax 350 007.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,494
  • fourtrax 350 006.JPG
    fourtrax 350 006.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,085