Homemade Deer Drag

patterstdeer

Deer Drag

Wouldn't you know it stopped in KMart today and guess what they had for $14.00 two Glenns Deer Handle. Just my luck

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 3,810

Taporsnap77

i usually just drag them by the legs, i like the exercise anyhow it does suck when they are down a cliff tho lol. killed two this yr where took me hrs to get him out and i was exhausted. i have in a pinch slit the back legs and slide a stick thru

georgia_home

Ya know... Maybe you could or should have bought from the store. That would have been easy.

But the again, there is something to be said for passion and creativity! It's good to enjoy what you do!!!

Wouldn't you know it stopped in KMart today and guess what they had for $14.00 two Glenns Deer Handle. Just my luck

patterstdeer

I was diagnosed wit Lymphoma cancer in July had two surgeries in about a month and a half time first was to cut out part of intestine because lymp nodes pinched it off then had a colapsed left lung and about a 11" cut between the ribs to get the fluid out from between the lung and ribs because it was to thick to draw out with a needle. Total 21 days in hospital so anything i can do to make things easier right now believe me i am looking for them.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
I would use the Honda in your avatar...... but i am fat and lazy.

Yes sir, you'd be surprised where I can drive a 4 wheeler if it comes to me having to drag one very far! Some years ago I got a pretty good sized bear way up tear britches trail in Cohutta. After considering everything from picking the locks on the gates to biting the bullet and packing out what we could manage. (I hate being wasteful it ain't my nature but this wasn't something that could be drug out by convential means) Anyhow my cousin Billy Ray come up with a doozy... our old great Uncle Luther had a big ol' gentle mule named Sam (weighed over a 1000 pounds out of a percheron mare) that was old and retired and just standing around eating hay and getting fat.

To make a long story short he took off to Grassy Creek to borrow a horse trailer and get ol' Sam and the harness uncle luther kept in the barn while me and a school mate spent a cold night with a dead bear. He come a riding that big ol' mule up the mountain right after daylight with the trace chains, britchen and plow lines a hanging all over him. Well it took us the better part of the day to get that mule close enough to that bear to get the traces hooked up. He wasn't having nothing to do with that stanking thing and we ended up a blind folding him and twisting his ears and a walking him around in circles till we was all dizzy as drunks. We finally snuck up and got the bear hooked to him and I grabbed hold of them lines and they pulled the blind fold off of him... and away we all went. I might a made it a quarter of a mile as I had run the lines thru my overall straps and couldn't get loose from him. He bout drug all the clothes off a me before I did get undone. He kept a going and we went as fast as we could behind them (after I got my overalls and boots all back on) We got to the truck but ol' Sam had decided to keep going so we jumped in the truck and followed the trail of hair and hide plumb down thru Jone's camp and almost all the way to the paved road. (we did pass a couple of car loads of folks just sitting on the side of the road kinda looking like they was in shock or had seen a ufo or something?)We caught up with them at the crossroads only cause the bear had got tangled up with a culvert which ol" Sam was trying his best to pull up out of the road and keep going. We finally got them seperated and had to call somebody to bring a truck and load what was left of the bear up cause Sam wasn't going nowhere near the truck and trailer with the bear on it. Got Sam back to uncle Luther's finally after 10 that night and turned him out in his pasture.

Years later I seen Uncle Luther at a funeral and he said that mule stayed hid for 3 days down on the creek and that couldn't nobody catch him and put a halter on him for 5 or 6 years after that. Told me if he even opened the gate from the barn or if someone rattled a chain that Ol' Sam would take off like a rocket straight to the growed up thicket on the creek, bury up as deep as he could get his big ol' self and not come out till after dark! I guess the morale of this story is that yes a mule will pull a bear out of the woods for you... but he'll only do it one time I reckon!

patterstdeer

Believe me I put the bike as close as possible aso bought the power loader to go on the front made by Great Day thing works like a forklift as i don't have a lot of strength right now just drag deer on strap it up and hit the ole winch puts it right up on the front rack.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
i made one similar to the one the op did, using a discarded fiberglass ski rope handle.

t

BRANCHWYNN

killed a doe this morning, and only pulled her 100 yards and she only weighed 115 lbs. Dragged her by the rear legs........it wasnt impossible, but Id much rather had one of these along. Good way to improvise.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I made a rule, if I can't drive up to the deer and pick it up and load it in the truck with ZERO feet of dragging involved, I don't shoot. The only exceptions are if it's a buck bigger than my biggest killed, or one so small I can carry it like a rabbit.

T

frankwright

Aircraft Quality Deer Drag

We made a bunch of these long ago when I was an Airplane mechanic. Nylon coated cable, aluminum handle.

I think you could drag a mastodon with it.

I prefer to drag with the Big Bear now.

Attachments

• deer drag cable 12-15-2010 2-47-59 AM 640x480.JPG
    deer drag cable 12-15-2010 2-47-59 AM 640x480.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,440
We made a bunch of these long ago when I was an Airplane mechanic. Nylon coated cable, aluminum handle.

I think you could drag a mastodon with it.

I prefer to drag with the Big Bear now.

That'll definitely work. I used the tether of my HSS vest to drag a big doe about 75 yards to the truck last year. It worked okay, but I should have repositioned it down to the D-ring on the lower back of the vest instead of leaving it attached between my shoulders on the upper back. If I have to drag one this year, that's what I'm gonna do. I've already got the vest on, and it's designed for just that purpose. Why not? I don't have to carry my ski handle/deer drag with me to the stand either.

BAR308

like the deer drag but like your 4wheeler better

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
This is how we drug deer and other critters home back in the good old days....

picture.php

picture.php