Sighting in a .30-30

medic1

Shot some today on a short range. A 150gr 30-30 shooting 2“ high at 25 yards will be hitting where at 100 yards? Don't worry. I will do my final sight-in at 100 yards.

MFOSTER

BANNED
I would think you would need to be a couple low at 25 to be own at 100 you definitely need to make sure before hunting I ck my rifles weekly during season

sleepr71

Scoped or iron-sighted??? I usually wait until Oct. to do final sight in...due to it being 90+ degrees now w/50% humidity:O. Who knows what those factors^^^ do to your pressures+ point of impact..compared to Fall/Winter temps:huh:?

chadeugene

With 150gr bullets, 2" high at 25 yards is going to have you about 4" inches high at 100 yards. Sight your rifle in 2" low at 25 yards, and then when you shoot to 100 yards you should be dead on. Just make sure and take a couple 100 yard shots to be sure before heading into the woods.

medic1

Scoped rifle. I just wanted an idea of where my first bullet would hit when I go to sight it in at 100 yards. Thanks.

Mr.MainFrame10

You need to sight it in dead on at 25 yards. This will put you at 1.89 inches high at 100 yards with a 150 grain bullet. 30-30's can kill deer out to 200 yards accurately if you really know your gun well and its ballistics. Otherwise, I wouldn't really shoot past 150 yards with these guns. Just know your ballistics. At 200 yards the bullet is going to drop about 7-8 inches.

P.S Never sight in a gun at 100 yards. This is where people make the mistake. Always sight in a rifle at 25 yards.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
At 2-inches low at 25, you're basically sighted in a "0" at 300 yds. Not sure how your scope is mounted (top vs side, or how high over the bore). That would put your bullet 8.7 inches over your cross hairs at 100 yds. to be zeroed in at 100 yds, you'd want to be about a half inch low at 25.

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

Attachments

• 30-30 ballistics.pdf
    18.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Jim Baker

Staff member
Go Here.

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

Open the calculater in two windows and you can compare the difference in the ballistics sighted in at different ranges.

Actually you will be better off to sight in at twenty five yards. You will have a shot in the kill zone out to 200 yards.
Sighted at 100 yards you bullet is dropping almost immediately and you will be leaving the kill zone at 150 yards.

Just sight your rifle in at 100 yards and throw all the calculations and theories out.

Ohoopee Tusker

You need to sight it in dead on at 25 yards. This will put you at 1.89 inches high at 100 yards with a 150 grain bullet. 30-30's can kill deer out to 200 yards accurately if you really know your gun well and its ballistics. Otherwise, I wouldn't really shoot past 150 yards with these guns. Just know your ballistics. At 200 yards the bullet is going to drop about 7-8 inches.

P.S Never sight in a gun at 100 yards. This is where people make the mistake. Always sight in a rifle at 25 yards.

This! I will add to recheck it at 100 just to make sure your ammo is hitting where it is supposed to.

Klondike

I think I understand where you are coming from with this statement but not sure I agree. I do plenty of initial rifle shooting at 25 yards because that is the local indoor range. Testing loads at 100 gives you even more information about your marksmanship as well as load. The flatter shooting calibers I have are all sighted in at 200 yards except for 300 blackout (50) and 45/70 (100) and 22lr (50).

I highly recommend using a set of calipers and measuring scope height(barrel to bell + bell/2) and then using a ballistics calculator to give you points of impact at 25, 100 and 200. Carry the sheet around with you and whatever you shoot (plinking at the local 25 yd indoor or shooting outside) you have your reference points and know your ballistics.

medic1

Thanks for the replies. It has a Nikon scope with a bullet-drop compensator reticle. I just have to figure out how to use it at longer ranges. I'm sure a ballistics chart will help with that, also.

REDFOXJR

Winchester ballistics calculator says if your sighted in at 100yds you should be .05" low, based on a 150 gr power point on a 84 degree day. just google (Winchester ballistics calculator). check it out for yourself.