Overseeding

robertyb

I harrowed a 1/4 acre food plot, drug it flat (as well as possible) and sprayed it with Roundup on 9-4-04. I put out 300 lbs. lime, 100 lbs. 10/10 fertilizer and 3 lbs. of mixed clover seeds by top spreading with a hand spreader on 9-11-04. I was unable to cut the lime in or drag over the seeds when I spread it as the ground was way to soft after all the rain to put my tractor back into and I figured it will only get worst this week when Ivan hits. Will the top seeded clover take OK? If not I guess I can always plant again....

Jeff Phillips

Rob - You may have seeded a little early after spraying with Roundup. I think you have to wait at least 21 days. See what comes up and overseed if needed.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
As long as the round up doesn't affect the seeds germination you should be fine. You shouldn't cover clover seeds or br***icas anyway, there best top seeded.

GrandSlamHunter

The RoundUp will not be a problem since it has to be absorbed by the plants foliage. I would be more concerned with fertilizer burning the clover root system if you did not harrow it in. However, if you got a lot of rain after fertilizing it either washed the fertilizer into the soil or into the nearest creek. Good luck.

GSH

gadeerwoman

You should be okay. However you may need to spray with semetydim (grass killer) again. With 10-10-10 you are feeding the grasses with nitrogen so you might get a quick regrowth. If you do, just spray with a grass killer and your clover should do fine. Long as it touched the ground the rain will get it germinating with coverage.