Chatuge Hybrids

BOBBASS

We got a late start 9:30am, pulled some Bluebacks around points,coves, bridges and in the river. We only managed 2 small spots. Water temp is getting right, 57-60.

When do they usually head up the Hiawassee? We used to catch a bunch of White Bass but haven't seen them for years.

The mtn man

We got a late start 9:30am, pulled some Bluebacks around points,coves, bridges and in the river. We only managed 2 small spots. Water temp is getting right, 57-60.

When do they usually head up the Hiawassee? We used to catch a bunch of White Bass but haven't seen them for years.

Dynamics have changed on chatuge, I grew up on the lake, literally. There are no white bass left to speak of. As for hybrids running up the river, not sure that's all that productive anymore, find where the herring are. I've had better luck in windblown coves off the main lake channel late afternoon until dark.

BOBBASS

I fished Saturday between the Hwy 76 bridge at the Church and the Hwy 76 bridge going to Clayton where the River ends and the Lake starts. We didn't see or catch any White Bass or Hybrids. I'm not saying they are not there we just didn't see or catch any.

When you say River it's The Hiawasse and the Creek Hightower? And how the heck do you catch them when they get up the river?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Both the river and creek is full of white bass.or was last friday.

White's in Chatuge? You're the first I've heard say that in years. Are you sure they weren't juvenile hybrids?

The mtn man

White's in Chatuge? You're the first I've heard say that in years. Are you sure they weren't juvenile hybrids?

I seen a guy on the north carolina side a few years ago that had a cooler full of "white bass", what he really had was a cooler full of small hybrids, and would have had a hefty fine from nc had I made a phone call, but I didn't, and I wouldn't, I tried to tell him they were hybrids, but he disagreed.

red neck richie

I seen a guy on the north carolina side a few years ago that had a cooler full of "white bass", what he really had was a cooler full of small hybrids, and would have had a hefty fine from nc had I made a phone call, but I didn't, and I wouldn't, I tried to tell him they were hybrids, but he disagreed.

Yup. I caught a bunch up there as well and the bigger ones I could tell were Hybrids but the smaller juvenile one's do look a lot like white bass. I've mistaken the small ones for white bass myself. Till they said there were no more white bass in Chatuge. But I only keep a few of the bigger ones for dinner and I mainly catch them on the Georgia side.