jug fishing/abandoned jugs [?]....rules?

NCummins

Slow that boat down and you won't run over them:rolleyes:

Whereabouts are you in NC? You near Nottley Lake in Blairsville?
We will usually put them out, then stay within sight while anchored down throwing rods out fishing while watching jugs as well. Sort of a competition between the rods and the jugs (jugs usually win) Same way bass fishing, throw em out then bass fish within sight of them.

I've got a 16' deep vee tiller steer, trust me I'm not going very fast, haha. I fish Lake Russell most of the time. I think next time I go down I'll bring five or six milk jugs with me and try them out while I'm bass fishing.

j_seph

That is a good idea. We could have 50 jugs on it and call it a floating trot line.:biggrin2:

Houston I think we have a problem!:huh:

Doesn't the rules read that trot lines have to be 3 ft. under surface?:huh:
Nope, mine would be jugs not a trotline, that's what I am calling it. No hooks on line, just jugs tied together ;)

groundhawg

Email from the DNR...

I have looked into your question concerning jug fishing laws/regulations. Currently, there are few regulations governing jug fishing. The current DNR WRD Fishing Regulation book places jug fishing and trotlines in the same fishing method but only states the type of fish which may be caught while using jugs (pg 14). The WRD web site pertaining to fishing methods in fresh water and trout fishing has specific information concerning jugs and set hooks ( http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/1299 ). Information on this web page states there are no other restrictions on the use of set hooks and jugs (number of, season, dimensions, materials, etc.). However, DNR encourages anglers using these methods to check them regularly, remove them at the end of the fishing day, and avoid areas popular with recreational boaters.

In closing, there is currently no limit on the number of jugs a person wishes to fish and the jug does not have to be marked with the fisherman’s information. It is encouraged that this information be placed on the jug and all jugs are removed once a person has finished fishing. A fishing license is required.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Captain Bob Lynn

Region IV-Macon

Department of Natural Resources

Law Enforcement Division

2618 Shurling Drive

Macon, GA 31211

Office (478)751-6415

Mobile (404)695-7392

Fax (478)751-6416

bigchooch58

i pour concrete into red solo cups for anchors for my jugs /they stay where i put them /now i live in texas and the law here is they must be white with your name phone number and the date /i covered all my noodles with white duct tape when i got here and for the date i just place a small piece of tape with the date so all you do is change out the date /and they are all numbered from 1 to 30 and i dont leave till all 30 are back on the boat /its called being responsable