Maine bear down

My good Buddy Marc from the Locust Grove area took a nice Maine bear last night, his first bear ever. There are two more of us in camp still hunting and enjoying our stay in far north Maine (Eagle Lake area)

It's been very warm (high 70s) but the weather broke last night and we're looking forward to two more days of hunting while Marc tries some fishing for togue, salmon and brook trout on Eagle Lake

Attachments

• 0914172002-1.jpg
    0914172002-1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 547
Actually, I've only had one bad day, in a ground blind. I fired up the Thermacell then to go along with my elimitick clothing. I've not yet used the thermacell in any tree stand though.

Probably the least blood suckers ever on my 5 trips.

The mtn man

Don't fish at the soldier pond bridge with a #2 gold mepps spinner, it's fly fishing only, trust me.:biggrin3:.

Very nice trophy photo! What did it weigh?

It was a decent bear at almost 200 pounds. Marc did very well on his first ever bear hunt. He passed up a bear he felt was larger on the 1st evening's hunt because it never presented a good shot.

A couple more pics of the main lodge, our group (one fella was from Ma.) and our nice Maine lobster dinner. And a couple of views from the main lodge deck and our cabin's deck of Eagle Lake.

Attachments

• 2017 FRLodge.jpg
    2017 FRLodge.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 2017 Bear hunt pics (2).jpg
    2017 Bear hunt pics (2).jpg
    120 KB · Views: 298
  • Eagle Lake.jpg
    Eagle Lake.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Eagle Lake 2.jpg
    Eagle Lake 2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

The mtn man

That is the first lake I ever drove on.

That is the first lake I ever drove on.

The owner of the camp told us about the "Ice road" they plow on the lake each winter to make the commute for folks a lot shorter into the bustling metropolis of Eagle Lake, Me (pop 849)

She also told us of the incident 3 or 4 yrs ago(IIRC) where the fella who plows the road hit a soft spot on his first plowing of the year and had his truck go through and sink. A second truck also sunk in the same hole on the same evening. Both guys survived and the trucks were "rescued" about a month later.

The mtn man

The owner of the camp told us about the "Ice road" they plow on the lake each winter to make the commute for folks a lot shorter into the bustling metropolis of Eagle Lake, Me (pop 849)

She also told us of the incident 3 or 4 yrs ago(IIRC) where the fella who plows the road hit a soft spot on his first plowing of the year and had his truck go through and sink. A second truck also sunk in the same hole on the same evening. Both guys survived and the trucks were "rescued" about a month later.

That stinks for them. Back when I worked ft.Kent and allegash and eagle lake. I stayed in a lodge off route 11. It was called track down lodge. Those were some great folks. That a beautiful area. I did a bit of deer hunting up around allegash, past dickey, up in the big 20 area.

Rich Kaminski

Great Blackbear, beautiful lake and super pictures. Enjoy your hunt and time with friends.