How to measure long distances?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Here is a target I shot with my .260 @ 1000...5 shot group ...that is a .5 MOA dot

Attachments

• IMG_20160605_155955_563.jpg
    IMG_20160605_155955_563.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 53

Jester896

Senior Clown
Here is a 5 shot group my shooting partner shot with my rifle and hand loads. Both elevation and wind were dialed on both.

Attachments

• IMG_20160605_155903_292.jpg
    IMG_20160605_155903_292.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 51

GeorgiaBob

difference in Elevation between shooter and target is also a real factor at 1,000 yards. If you are setting up a range, better be very sure you know the elevation difference and well as distance.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jester you are a world class shooter. What rifle and scope do you use? Any pictures of it? My best 5 shot group was 3.25 inches.

gt40

Jester896

Senior Clown
Hardly...you can clearly see my partner out shot me with my own stuff

Stiller Tac30
Bartlein 1:8.5 finished and threaded @ 26" Heavy Palma Profile
Manners T2A
TPS 20MOA base and TPS X-Low Rings
NightForce NSX 5.5-22X50 MOAR

All basic black

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks like less than 2 inches for five shots which is in world record territory at 1,000 yards.

gt40

PS: What bullets do you use for such good accuracy? I may need to change mine.

.243 with 80 grain on left and my 6mm Norma BR. with 105 grain Berger VLD on right.

Attachments

• 243+6mmbr. .png
    243+6mmbr. .png
    934.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
142SMK Moly

but this is about ranging long range

(known measurement in inches) X 95.5
________________________________ = yards to target

MOA

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
142SMK Moly

but this is about ranging long range

(known measurement in inches) X 95.5
________________________________ = yards to target

MOA

I must have misunderstood. I thought you were shooting a .260, but I guess you were shooting a .264 WIN MAG?.

gt40

cmshoot

GunnSmokeer, if all you’re wanting to do is take some measurements to set up a range, I can come out and do it for you with my LRF’s. I have more than one, nice to hit a distance and get a second opinion.

If you have a good handheld GPS, you can use these to accurately measure distance from one point to another.

Problem with a custom turret is that they are set up for a specific set of external variables. Change those variables (temperature, altitude, etc.) and you have to make an adjustment from what your turret reads, which is what you’re doing when making an adjustment with a “standard” .1mil or .25MOA turret.

If you only adjust and don’t use hold-offs, or you only hold-off and don’t adjustments, you’re missing one of the skills. In my school, I teach both methods and run students through drills where one method works better than the other.

Oftentimes, when shooting long distance with an FFP scope, you can run out of available reticle to hold over with, even in a milliradian scope. I’ve run my DRD Tactical Kivaari .338 Lapua out to 2500yds, using a Nightforce BEAST 5-25x56mm with Horus H59 reticle. I used both adjustments and hold-offs. With hold-offs I had to dial the power down a little further than I wanted so that I could actually see the parts of the reticle I needed to accomplish this. This wouldn’t be an issue with an SFP scope. Pros and cons with all of your equipment, so know your kit.

In my Basic Precision Rifle Course I teach students to measure distances using their scope reticle, and I feel that this is an excellent skill to have at your disposal. However, this ain’t the method I would recommend when laying out a long distance range and placing targets. A bit cumbersome.

If you have an LRF that won’t quite reach the required distance, you can shoot something in between, then shoot from that mark to the next, etc., until you reach the target. Then add all those distances up. If you use this method, keep in mind what the margin of error (+/- ) is for your LRF. If the margin of error is up to 5 yards, and you shoot and add 5 different distances to add together, you could be off as far as 25 yards on your final total.

The more reflective the target, the better/further you’ll be able to range with an LRF. Also, you will range further on an overcast day than you will on a sunny day. If I’m traveling out of town and teaching on a facility that I’m not familiar with, I usually park my Dodge 2500 sideways on the firing line and range back to it. Some places, like Arena Training Facility in Blakely GA, have something more solid to range to.....in their case a tower made from 3 Conex boxes stacked on top of each.

Don’t be a one trick pony. I’ve seen more than one LRF, even expensive ones, crap out while in use. It would be nice to have a method that ALWAYS works.......like the reticle in your optics.

cmshoot

Anyone want to learn how to range with their reticle, come on out to Arena Training Facility on December 9 and/or 10. We can get you squared away! Steel targets from 100yds out to past 2000yds, plenty of targets to range.......and shoot!