The importance of soil prep....

Jim Boyd

Our plots are all in oats, wheat and clover.

Most of what we planted included crimson clover but we also started two test plots with ladino clover.

The fields are pH correct and we put roughly 300 lbs / ac 19-19-19.

While we did this we also planted numerous fire breaks, cut through roads and what we call snake trails. Some got crimson clover along with the oats and wheat, some did not. The soil in these areas was not amended in any fashion.

Both sets of areas look great - green and lush.

That is where the similarities end. The usage in the plots is 10-20 times higher than it is in the other areas.

This means that the deer would rather walk out into a wide open field than feed in the semi-security of the breaks, etc.

The deer KNOW which food is better for them.

If you are short cutting your plot efforts and do not have your pH correct and are not using the called for fertilizer, I fear you are wasting quite a bit of time and money.

Best of luck this year!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
The deer know!!!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Jim,
I have always said deer will eat the most nutritious food source available.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Jim Boyd

I think, Elfii, it is more than the taste.

Somehow, innately, I beleive nature has equipped the deer with the ability to eat the food that is the most beneficial to them.

While humans normally lack this capability - I do not feel this is a conscious decision - it seems the deer gravitate to this “better” food.

I see us amending the soils in these added areas to gain even more nutrition for them!

mattuga

Banned
Who eats flank steak when ribeyes are plentiful? Nobody.:bounce:

I'd take a flank all day over a ribeye, they price out the same these days as well. You can have your heart disease steak and I'll take a steak with actual flavor not solely derived from fat. Lean steaks and a good seasoning are well above a fatty steak for me. New york strip is the only way if you want a mid grade steak

davidhelmly

I agree with you 100% Jim but it's really hard to make people believe it!! You guys do it right and you can see that in your herd, keep up the good work!! :cheers::cheers:

Latest posts