New Cheap Gun Advice

lonewolf247

From your list, I'd go with the Mossberg Patriot, but with the wood grain stock. Beyond that, I'd take a look at the TC Compass, and the Ruger American.

Otherwise, there are great deals in the used market to be had. I have made some really good deals, and some great firearms, however, it is always a bit of risk of getting someone else's problem gun, or inaccurate rifle.

A $300 rifle is the new normal. They shoot great. No need to possibly buy someone else's problem gun when you can spend less and possibly get a better gun.

I just can't get into the cheap scope or scope mounts phenomena tho.
First if you know how to inspect a bore then you can tell if someone has take care of the rifle or not. Most folks do not shoot a high powered rifle enough to hurt it. As for the scope I dont have a problem with a cheap scope to me the mounts are allot more important. Now if the man was not on a budget I would say buy the best you can get. I have a savage model ten that is not a costly gun and it has killed a ton of deer and hogs. When i grew up most folks shot old military seconds some lever guns and Remington Automatics. Not very costly but we sure killed deer. My first 3006 was a sporterized model 1917 eddystone and i killed a pile with a ninteen dollar rifle from sears and roebuck.

ALB

The Stocks are the first thing that I don't like on these low end rifles. They feel cheap! I believe the metal is ok. Savage has the best out of the box accuracy I have ever seen. But the action feels cheap! I bought an A bolt when the X bolts came out at a good price. My stock feels really good compared to the Ruger American.

GunnSmokeer

A friend bought a Savage Axis II in .308 two years ago.
The cheap scope it came with broke in less than 20 shots.
The store replaced it with a better model scope (no charge) and since then he’s been very satisfied with the Axis II.
It’s plenty accurate.

I’ve shot it. I like the trigger, and the slim, ergonomic stock.
The bolt action was not as smooth as I’d like, BUT the gun was new and possibly needed a break-in period.

Khondker

In my opening post (when I started the thread) I wrote I sold all my hunting guns. Well, just found out I missed one, I found my Remington 7400 Carbin, 18.5" barrel, 30-06, never been shot, I left it in a soft gun case inside closet and forget about it, I bought the gun years ago.

My question is, since it only 18.5" barrel, is it going to be any good for deer hunting (once again, I hunt in WMAs, so shooting distance is very short, I use 165 grain Remington Core Lokt). My concern is the velocity because of the short barrel.

The gun did not come with any scope but I have a Leupold 3-9 X 40 scope to mount on the gun.

Once again thanks you guys for all the inputs.

transfixer

Should be fine as a woods gun, plenty of deer put down with those rifles years ago, still have the 742 I started hunting with when I was 16yrs old.

bighonkinjeep

The deer will never ask how long the barrel was. I promise LOL
The short barrel will be fine. I have a 16" barreled savage I cut down into a carbine. I did a lot of research before doing so. Look around and see what some guys are doing with hunting handguns. 12" and 14" barreled handguns in rifle calibers will easily put the smackdown out to 600 yards with the right nut behind the trigger. That's what convinced me to chop mine and I could not be happier with the easy handling, quick pointing .308 carbine for what needs killing that resulted. Anything that needs killing and finds itself in the crosshairs is gonna have a really bad day.

ryanh487

The 7400 has killed millions of deer. Not a match gun by any means but you should be able to get 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards with ammo the gun likes

Jester896

Senior Clown
My question is, since it only 18.5" barrel, is it going to be any good for deer hunting (once again, I hunt in WMAs, so shooting distance is very short, I use 165 grain Remington Core Lokt). My concern is the velocity because of the short barrel.

lets just say in a 24" barrel it would run 2800 fps...and in your barrel it only ran 2600 fps. It is still going to go through a deer inside 200 yards more than likely. Heck a .308 with factory match ammo is running about 2650 and it doesn't have much trouble going 800 yards accurately. If you think the velocity is going to matter that much at those distances you could drop back to a 150 and pick back up 100 fps or so....GTG

transfixer

I agree with others, the shorter barrel isn't going to make enough difference in velocity to effect the lethality of the round, the only drawback with those carbines and the .06 cartridge is the muzzle flash you will get and the blast noise, those short carbines were extremely loud, and if you shoot one right before dark you'll see what I mean about the muzzle flash ,, lol

WaltL1

First if you know how to inspect a bore then you can tell if someone has take care of the rifle or not. Most folks do not shoot a high powered rifle enough to hurt it. As for the scope I dont have a problem with a cheap scope to me the mounts are allot more important. Now if the man was not on a budget I would say buy the best you can get. I have a savage model ten that is not a costly gun and it has killed a ton of deer and hogs. When i grew up most folks shot old military seconds some lever guns and Remington Automatics. Not very costly but we sure killed deer. My first 3006 was a sporterized model 1917 eddystone and i killed a pile with a ninteen dollar rifle from sears and roebuck.
Its kind of funny, lots of folks used the military surplus rifles back then because they were so inexpensive compared to a "new" rifle, and now you can get a new rifle with a scope cheaper than a lot of the military surplus rifles!
The last buck I shot (last year) was with a 1942 Enfield No4 Mk1 in .303
The old military surplus rifles are still killing deer !

Khondker

lets just say in a 24" barrel it would run 2800 fps...and in your barrel it only ran 2600 fps. It is still going to go through a deer inside 200 yards more than likely. Heck a .308 with factory match ammo is running about 2650 and it doesn't have much trouble going 800 yards accurately. If you think the velocity is going to matter that much at those distances you could drop back to a 150 and pick back up 100 fps or so....GTG

I have bought two boxes of Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt, also mounted Leupold VX 1 on the gun.

I used Leupold high mount ring instead of medium mount ring so the scope's view will stay clear from the gun's iron sight.

Planning to take the gun in range in few weeks.

Quick question: how do I find out what is scope hight from the barrel?

Jester896

Senior Clown
measure from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the tube, add half of the diameter of the bolt and half the diameter of the scope tube together...should get you close.

Khondker

measure from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the tube, add half of the diameter of the bolt and half the diameter of the scope tube together...should get you close.

Got it. Thanks a lot.