Looking for Fruit Trees near athens

C.J.

anyone know of a place between Atlanta and Comer to buy fruit trees?

Usual big boxes.

Cofer's in Athens has a good selection of healthy trees with a guarantee.

I've gotten some good trees at the J&J Center for really good prices. Timing is the big problem, weekends only you know. Got some of the best blueberry bushes I've ever had (and I have several)

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Little farther on the other side of Comer but Rays Greenhouse between Royston and Hartwell is a good choice IMO. Canon has a nursery that has some stuff.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Pendergrass flea market will be the least expensive, but Wal Mart and Lowes has good trees.

Arrow3

Tractor supply has some too.

C.J.

Lowes and Tractor Supply is by far the cheapest

Last edited:
Tractor supply has some too.

I haven't been impressed with the quality of the trees at TS. After they get on site, they aren't very well cared for, and I'm suspect of their long term survival.

I'm in the Athens TS at least twice a week, so I try to keep up on their business for them. :rofl:

Seriously, of all the places mentioned above, it would be the last place I would go because of the quality, and the selection isn't all that great either.

Luke0927

I was given some peach trees, elberta and redskins from TS about 2 years ago. They seemed to be 2 year old trees that were neglected. I cut them back a lot, and they are doing well they put on few peaches last year and showing good buds for this year.

My grandpa picked them up at a clearance price ( just a couple dollars each) or I wouldn't have said they weren't worth it at regular price for how they looked. But how they are doing now I was surprised.

Not next door to Athens but if you are looking for some of the best apple trees (home orchard) or crab varieties for wild game. Jim Lawson in Ballground would be a good fellow to talk with. He is 88 and worked on grafting several varieties out that are hearty and perfect for wildlife, people from all over the country have worked with him on old hardy heirloom varieties.

Triple C

If you're looking for locally grown, excellent fruit trees check with www.wildlifegrowers.com. Their nursery is located in Oglethorpe County. Owned and managed by wildlife biologist at UGA. They're sold out of chestnut trees but have ample supply of kieffer, orient and other blight resistant pears that are acclimated to our soil and climate. Not sure they sell to the public. Check with them see if wholesale only.

Forest Grump

If you're looking for locally grown, excellent fruit trees check with www.wildlifegrowers.com. Their nursery is located in Oglethorpe County. Owned and managed by wildlife biologist at UGA. They're sold out of chestnut trees but have ample supply of kieffer, orient and other blight resistant pears that are acclimated to our soil and climate. Not sure they sell to the public. Check with them see if wholesale only.

Wholesale only, 500$ minimum order, according to their website.

atlashunter

It appears Wildlife Growers is out of business. I may have to take a trailer to a wholesale nursery in Tennessee if I don't find anything closer.