Deer Jerky

furtaker

Has anyone used an electric smoker to make jerky? A processor here close to the house uses a massive stainless steel smoker...I'm pretty sure he said it was electric but there was a small flame burning under it. I have made it on my dehydrator but the stuff he does is better to me. It's more moist, has a better texture and a more robust flavor.

I was considering buying one but I didn't want to spend a couple-three hundred if I wasn't going to be satisfied with the results.

MOTS

A lot of people use their oven with the door opened a few inches and seems to do better than a dehydrator. Type in "deer jerky in the oven", on google or youtube and you'll see plenty of info and recipes. It should give you the moister results you mentioned.

jwillban

Has anyone used an electric smoker to make jerky? A processor here close to the house uses a massive stainless steel smoker...I'm pretty sure he said it was electric but there was a small flame burning under it. I have made it on my dehydrator but the stuff he does is better to me. It's more moist, has a better texture and a more robust flavor.

I was considering buying one but I didn't want to spend a couple-three hundred if I wasn't going to be satisfied with the results.

I do mine on a masterbuilt electric smoker I have and it works great. The oven with the door cracked works good to, but I have the smoker so I use that for a little more smoke flavor. I've started pulling them off before they're completely brittle because they taste much better like that. As long as you don't take them off way early or leave them until they're too tough to bite through, you should be good.

little rascal

smoke it!!!

smoke it on the grill first to dry it out, then move it to the dehydrator or oven and you won't have no drippy mess. The best jerky I ever made was in the oven with a butter knife jammed in the door to leave it cracked.
Now I put it in the smoker to dry it and then finish it in the dehydrator and it is awesome!