Least Hyped Deer Calibers

nmurph

Stuff that I rarely hear mentioned and still think are good calibers for deer:

- Various 6mm AR calibers like 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Creedmor, etc.
- 6mm
- 7mm Mauser
- 264 Win Mag
- 338 Federal
- 257 Roberts

The main issue with the above is that they start getting pricey on ammo unless you reload. I own a 280 and 6mm, both are a bit pricey to shoot compared to a 308.

6.5 Creed gets plenty of mention on this board.

Ohoopee Tusker

I don't see a .338 as a deer caliber, not at least for a whitetail or any North American deer... not that it won't knock them down��

That's an odd statement. You think it would work better on South American deer? Lol. I take it you don't actually have any experience killing an animal with a .338 fed. You do know this isn't a .338 mag, right?

nmurph

That's an odd statement. You think it would work better on South American deer? Lol. I take it you don't actually have any experience killing an animal with a .338 fed. You do know this isn't a .338 mag, right?

Nope, you got me on that one!!

Looks like a great gun for elk.:bounce:

mrfudd

375 H&H is often overlooked for deer. Surprising low recoil, accurate, and similar trajectory to the 180 grain 30.06 loads

LittleDrummerBoy

30-30

Ohoopee Tusker

I don't see a .338 as a deer caliber, not at least for a whitetail or any North American deer... not that it won't knock them down��

Nope, you got me on that one!!

Looks like a great gun for elk.:bounce:
It is, just like lots of other multi-purpose Rounds. Are elk in the deer family? ;-)

A couple of .338 fed kills. Deer is an exit wound out the leg pit and then through the leg. You'll notice the leg and shoulder are still attached. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20171208_121144.jpg
    IMG_20171208_121144.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20171208_122120.jpg
    IMG_20171208_122120.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 212

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Friend of mine cut down a 4" diameter pine tree and killed the buck on the other side with a .257 Weatherby Mag.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Least hyped...? I am a 7mm-08 believer. Love the cartridge. And I believe that it is perfect for SE Deer.

I am not sure the 7mm-08 does not have hype. It is widely available. I agree with other about the Roberts, that is not hyped!

I believe a cartridge that does have a lack of hype (not yet mentioned) and has great potential in the Georgia Deer Woods is the .450 Bushmaster. It has become a solid performer by Yankees limited to use straight walled cartridges. The bullet weight is commonly .250 grains and can easily range out just past 200 yards. Recoil is there for sure but not that bad. For me it is ideal for my style of hunting - I hunt thick bottoms and swamps. I almost never have a 100 yard shot let alone a 200. It is very accurate from a 16" barrel. I have the Ruger Scout but it is made also in the American. If can be fired from a standard AR lower too. If you hunt deer in woods with Hogs it might be a fun gun.

If you have a supersonic bottlenecked cartridge and want a gun for the occasional hunts in the "thick stuff" you might consider .450 Bushmaster. You won't confuse the cartridges - that is for sure.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
375 H&H is often overlooked for deer. Surprising low recoil, accurate, and similar trajectory to the 180 grain 30.06 loads

This is way too small!!! Did you know that the 416 rigby is much better! More humane!:shoot:

Worlldbeater

I have a 250/3000 savage built by the late master gunsmith Jim Dorn of Macon Ga. that is a real tack driver. I have been hunting with it since the 70's. If I do my part it does its. I reload my ammo. You don't here much about the 250/3000 anymore.

HabershamHunter85

My 7mm-08 just logged its 22nd kill. Haven't lost a deer with it yet, and always has a great blood trail and they don't run far if they do run. Had many bullets completely pass through the deer. Only two guns I own that I have lost deer with are a 30-30, which has killed many a deer and a 30-06 which I made a bad shot with. It's usually 9 times out of 10 shot placement or the gun, not so much the caliber always. Just like the 30-30, I lost two deer with it. I lost them because I was young and didn't think I needed to check my scope that season. After I lost the second deer, I shot it at home and it was shooting 2 inches low at 50 yards. Learned a valuable lesson that year. 7mm-08 is my go to gun for whitetail, I take the 30-30 if i'm hunting the thick stuff, 30-06 stays in the safe because it means to much to me sentimentally.

rosewood

If you are not a fan of tracking deer, give a .300 win mag a try.

That is what my brother was using. Shot a big 7 pt with it, blew out the heart with a fist size hole on the other side and still ran over 100 yards. He found it near the tree that it plowed into and left a huge blood stain on it. He switched to a .270 with corelokts afterwards because I had had good luck with that myself.

Rosewood