Lamb for Christmas

Artfuldodger

We are getting tired of turkey and dressing already. We will have ham on New Years. Was considering what we could have on Christmas.
I was wondering why don't folks eat lamb on Christmas?

chainshaw

We usually eat it on Easter. The problem is that lamb is a love or hate taste to most people. My wife will not eat it, but my kids will fight over the last bite.

If you have a smoker, make a rub out of dark brown sugar, smoked paprika, rosemary, salt, pepper, and little cayenne pepper. Get a lamb shoulder and rub it down with olive oil, then the above rub. Smoke it just like a pork shoulder and pull it around 195 degrees and wrap it in foil and let it rest in a cooler for about 90 minutes. You will not be disappointed.

Dr. Strangelove

I don't know why more people don't eat lamb in general. It's delicious. It's also expensive, but it's expensive because most people don't eat it, so...

Thanksgiving is always the traditional turkey with my family, but we've moved to other things for Christmas Eve dinner. Low country boil, prime rib (still kinda traditional, I guess), gumbo, jambalaya, pork roast, ribs (baby back), etc.

This year it has been decreed that we will have BBQ for Christmas Eve dinner.

Sam's Club has frenched rack of lamb for a pretty decent price, or used to, anyway.

As above, seems most are hot or cold on lamb and most of my family is cold. I love it! Our compromise? We now all enjoy prime rib for Christmas dinner. Well, all besides a couple of crazy grandkids who'd rather have chicken nuggets...lol.

But, in the long run, that simply means more for me and the sons in law. :clap:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
We love lamb here, especially when we run out of venison.

rospaw

I thought i would do a goose this year until i saw the prices :hair: . A few 100 for a fresh goose, nope!
Last year i cooked Rouladen ( onions, bacon, rolled in thin steak) which i cook often due to my 13yr favorite meal and one of mine. It is a hit with everyone and fairly easy to make.

I thought i would do a goose this year until i saw the prices :hair: . A few 100 for a fresh goose, nope!
Last year i cooked Rouladen ( onions, bacon, rolled in thin steak) which i cook often due to my 13yr favorite meal and one of mine. It is a hit with everyone and fairly easy to make.

We lived in Germany for about 6 six years during my military career and my wife makes Rouladen a few times a year for us. I really enjoy it as well.

As to lamb, I mentioned this thread to her the other day and a nice package of lamb chops (blade chops) showed up in the fridge, and I had them for dinner last night. Good Stuff!! :cool:

BeerThirty

I would bet that most folks don't eat lamb because it's expensive and not very forgiving since it's so lean. However, if you can cook it just right (medium rare), it is a delicacy!

rospaw

We lived in Germany for about 6 six years during my military career and my wife makes Rouladen a few times a year for us. I really enjoy it as well.

!! :cool:

Since you lived there,you know it's some of the best food in the world ! My mother side are all Germans (Frankfurt) reason for me going 45 or so times to Germany. Spend many of summers running around that country. Traveled to most all European countries but germany beat them all in the food category. Some GOOD stuff!

Oldest brother also stationed in Germany at Ray Barracks in Friedburg for 6 years.