Sound bar

DAWG1419

My flat screen tv speakers are awful. Looking at buying a sound bar but don’t want to break the bank nor by a piece of junk. Any advice?

3ringer

We are in the same boat. Our vizeo tv sound is terrible. Me and the wife decided our Christmas gift to each other is a sound bar. Look on Amazon at the different ones and read the reviews. We looked at the this past weekend at Walmart. The have vizeo, Samsung , rca and Sony. Prices are from 89 to 300 at Walmart.

NOYDB

BANNED
Every person perceives sound differently. Decide what features you want and what your budget is and then pick out what suits you. Do you have a friend that has one you like sound of? Do they have one with the sound you want to avoid? Have you decided where you are going to install it? Do you have certain physical requirements?

The, you should buy what I bought, type of advice is not much use.

BeerThirty

Soundbars work great, lots of the new ones are wireless and will come with a subwoofer as well which adds a really nice touch. My only suggestion would be to go with better than a 2-channel if you want it to sound really crisp.

GoldDot40

I also have a Vizio bar. It's just a 2.1 unit but plays "surround" and does a decent job of it. I have mine connected via TOSLINK (optical audio) and it works great. Flat panel TVs are notorious for poor sound with such an awesome picture.

sinclair1

Brand alone can't choose a good sound. I have 5 sound bars and the best sound comes from a LG, but the LG is a higher end model from them.

Look at some reviews of the electronics sites where they test them or go listen at a showroom.

Point being, if someone suggest a ford for a fast car, you can't just go buy a ford mini van, as each brand has a fast version.

rjcruiser

Biggest thing I'd make sure it had was the wireless subwoofer. They make a big difference and give it more of a surround sound sound.

We have a Panasonic and have enjoyed it.

3ringer

Just purchased a Vizio 5.1 channel sound bar from Sams Club for 179.00 I can't believe we waited so long to purchase one. It's a 100 times better than the tv speakers. It has a wireless bass and two satellite speakers. It is driving my dogs nuts. All the little sounds not normally heard. A helicopter sounds like it is flying over your head. Great Christmas gift.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We recently bought an LG surround sound/blu-ray/dvd player combo. Around $200 at Walmart, and it sounds fantastic with very realistic sound either on regular tv or discs. Five speakers and a big subwoofer. Much better than a soundbar, IMO.

lbzdually

Banned
Just got back from sister-in-law's house and she has a new Vizio soundbar with wireless rears and sub. I watched X-Men First Class, as I know what it should sound like. I must say, an old Samsung HTIB I had years ago sounds much better. Too much sound from the rears and hardly any bass.

3ringer

Just got back from sister-in-law's house and she has a new Vizio soundbar with wireless rears and sub. I watched X-Men First Class, as I know what it should sound like. I must say, an old Samsung HTIB I had years ago sounds much better. Too much sound from the rears and hardly any bass.

She must have adjusted wrong. I have the vizio app on my phone. It has numerous settings. You have to have it set to movies and surround sound. You also have to adjust the surround balance, bass and treble. The vizio app has numerous settings to give you the theater experience. It it a very nice sound bar. You just have to adjust it to your liking. War movies are awesome. My dogs still are not use to it. They think someone or something is in the room lol.