best 1000 yard group?

GunnSmokeer

If you shoot at a steel plate enough times, you're going to get lucky and ring it. Even at extreme distances.
If you can ring it 10 times in a row, that means something!

But what if, instead of shooting a 3-foot by 5-foot steel plate (man sized) you were shooting a paper bullseye target and going for the smallest 10-shot group possible?

What is a world-record group at 1000 yards?

One Minute-of-Angle would be about 10" at 1000 yards.

Top shooters with the best equipment can do half that.
Five inch groups at 1000 yards.

The world record groups are around 2.5".
That's a quarter-minute of angle!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/best-10-shot-1000-yard-group-in-history-be-amazed/

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is the very first target I shot in competition and the very first time I shot at 1,000 yards without paying any attention at the wind. We shot three 5 shot groups at the match. My group sizes and scores are written in the lower right of target. Once I learned to read the wind my smallest 5 shot grout was 3.25 inches. It was shot with my 6mm Norma BR. loaded with Varget, Berger 105 VLDs, CCI BR. primers and Varget. My rifle was built by Stockade Gunstocks with a Savage target single shot duel port action with a 26" Brux S/S 1 in 8" twist barrel. The scope is a Vortex 6-24x50mm FFP MOA scope. The rifle also shoots less than 2" five shot groups at 400 yds. :D

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com

gt40

PS: A perfect score for 5 shots is 50 points.

Attachments

• 1000 yd. target .JPG
    1000 yd. target .JPG
    239 KB · Views: 401
  • 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 401
  • setup 4.jpg
    setup 4.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

rayjay

GT40's post tells us what is the absolute most critical aspect to precision shooting. This aspect is something that many [ if not the majority ] of ''precision'' shooters pay zero attention to.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is the wind flag I use. Rayjay should remember it. :)

gt40

Attachments

• wind flag .JPG
    wind flag .JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 354

rayjay

The best !!! You would need 10 or more to be able to see what's really happening between the bench and the target at 1000 yards hahhahahha.

I've put together three 223s and am going to do some 500 yd stuff. I just picked up a 9 twist factory bbl so I could shoot up the 1/2 box of 69 gr Matchkings I have.

rayjay

Joe, how does your bench work ?? I built one similar to it and it was like a huge wooden spring. The crosshairs never would stop wiggling.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Mine worked fine and was fairly steady because it was pretty heavy. I had to make it portable so it wasn't as good as permanent concrete ones.

gt40

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is what I did with my .556 M4.

If you need anything else try WHITE OAK ARMAMENT. My full upper was extremely accurate like ALL their AR stuff and they are competitively priced.

gt40

PS: I also put a custom turret label on the scope from:

http://customturretsystems.com

Attachments

• upgraded colt .jpg
    upgraded colt .jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 196