Mossberg Patriot

Young Gun

Anyone have any experience with a mossberg patriot? Thinking about picking one up in a 7mm 08 as a beat around gun?

Last edited:

Nimrod71

A friend has one and he really likes it. He bought it just to keep in his truck. It shoots good and he has killed several deer with it. He has been hunting with a 270 for years and the last three time I hunted with him he was carrying the Patriot. I have thought of getting one myself.

Young Gun

I looked at the wood stock version, it's really not a bad looking rifle. Just curious if anyone has had any problems out of them.

Jester896

Senior Clown
a buddy has one in .308 in wood...looks good and shoots OK...we got him on at 3 and 500 yards and he didn't seem to have trouble with good strikes

Blackston

I bought one this year 308 shoots good puts meat on the tail gate

Bowyer29

Just bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor, because......

The scope on it is junk, I'll be replacing it with a Leupold. The gun shoots well as it is and the action is surprisingly smooth. I like it, especially for $300.

Chum

I have one in .308 that came with a Vortex scope. I like it. The scope broke a few days before the deer opener this year (internal lens broke free, possibly due to mounts being to tight), but Vortex had a new one on my doorstep in two days. They have a fantastic warranty!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Friend of mine has one in 7-08. He likes it, says it is extremely accurate.

HoCoLion91

I bought my daughter the wood stock combo version at Academy this year in 270 Win. Shoots good and is accurate. Dislike the plastic clip and scope. Plan to upgrade scope with Nikon or cheap Leupold. Good first gun.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Great rifle for the price

I bought the $299 Mossberg Patriot 30-06 at Academy Sports (really didn't need it, but had a bunch of gift cards to use). I did change out the scope for a Weaver, but after bore-sighting, it took 12 rounds to zero it to "minute of deer" at a 100 yds, using Federal Non-Typical 150 gr. ammo. I can't wait to see what it will shoot with handloads.

I have killed 2 deer with it so far and its fast becoming my favorite rifle to carry in the woods.

Attachments

• MossbergPatriot.jpg
    MossbergPatriot.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 478
  • patriot target.jpg
    patriot target.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 478

goshenmountainman

Bought one in 308 last year for 269.00 with vortex scope. It shoots about 3/4 inch group at 100 yds. I have killed 16 hogs with it 4 of which were over 300 yds. and killed a 5 1/2 year old mountain buck last week. It shoots as good or better that any ruger,winchester or remington that I own. And is my favorite rifle and the first 308 that I have ever owned.

Buckman18

I bought the youth model for my daughter in 243.

The negatives:
The scope is a CensoredCensoredCensored and needs to be thrown away, I wouldn't put it on a pellet gun, so you'll need to budget for a new scope. I do not like the safety, Remington style but it is very easy to flip back and forth, cheap and not exactly safe IMO. The bolt handle comes open when the rifle is shouldered while you walk through the woods, it's not secure. Thus, never walk with a bullet in the barrel or it'll be lost..

The pros:
Shoulders fine. Awesome trigger. Excellent accuracy. Light weight. Cheap. A great south GA 4 wheeler, mud, pine thicket gun. Shoots like a dream. But, above all, get a new cheap, even a cheap bushnell would be 100x better than what comes on the gun from the factory.

I say go for it, but keep in mind the negatives and most definitely get another scope

rosewood

I have the earlier iterations of this gun. First I bought the 100 ATR in .270, then found the "Maverick" version at academy for <$200 so I grabbed it in .243 cause I didn't have one. Then later I ordered the 100ATR in 7mm-08 compact model and absolutely love that gun. Have take several deer with the .270 and 7mm-08. Never hunted with the .243, but they will shoot MOA or better with good handloads. The 270 and 243 do not have the LBA trigger, but the 7mm-08 does and I really like the LBA.

I can't ever recall the bolt opening up while being carried over my shoulder. I do not see why it would be more prone to that than any other bolt gun.

Rosewood

Bowyer29

Just bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor, because......

The scope on it is junk, I'll be replacing it with a Leupold. The gun shoots well as it is and the action is surprisingly smooth. I like it, especially for $300.

I put a Nikon Prostaff on mine, I liked it and its price better than the Leupold.

Sighted in with about a half inch group at 100 yards after a box to "break it in". I just liked shooting it.

Great, cheap gun.

BeefMaster

A fellow I go to church with just picked up one in 25-06. Fit and finish is good for the price for sure. Mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on it. He seems very pleased.