Mountain buck from across the border

The mtn man

Mtn Man, You and Ike are on target. I grew up in Clay County and I killed my first deer in what had been Fires Creek Refuge. The deer I posted here came one gap lower down the mountain. The deer up there now are not in the high mountains, they are down in the settlements. Lots of developments have created sanctuaries for deer. That and greatly reduced hunting pressure have helped. The decline of some of your NE Ga heard is more attributed to lack of timber cutting than about anything else. Mountain deer really need some clear cut growth in case mast crops fail.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=859548&highlight= I shot this buck within earshot of the tusquittee bald.

cliffdweller

The Mtn. Man please preach it brother...Amen, Amen, and Amen. Scream your message from those craggly hts. If certain few don't listen, every single thing you said will come true...already has in certain places as you mentioned. Wow, orange army, dead on brother. Dead on.

goshenmountainman

I agree, edge Habitat is the key to keeping deer happy and safe, but the deer population in these mountains are well below carrying capacity as it is now. Habitat improvement would defiantly help, but I've come to understand that trigger control is the key. It needs to be taboo to kill a truck load of does in the mountains. A few during bow season imo is not causing a huge issue, it's the orange army with the mentality, that it's doe day, I need to shoot does. That's imo is what has caused the decline in North ga mountains.
That is exactly what is wrong with our deer population, and that is a fact!And that is a nice one for the OP, glad someone around here has nice ones like that still.