Back from the midwest

tradhunter98

Last week my buddy Cale, my dad, and I stuck out for somewhere way off called Kansas, and boy was it a time.
Got into town that Saturday and did a little scouting on some public ground and hung stands Sunday morning and climbed in for a all day sit. I saw a few, 1 being a shooter. Dad passed a nice 8 and late that afternoon I got a text from Cale saying he shot a monster. We let it lay the night and found it the next morning due to not being sure on the hit.(not a bad hit at all) A and boy was he right when he said a monster. Story goes something like the buck was around 20 yards and he shot it with a talltines bow and treeshark. But you'll have to get the story from him.

I passed more deer than I ever thought I would just waiting on the one. And on the 4th morning it almost happen. I got a text from dad saying he saw a monster headed my way, and that alone got me shook. I grab my binos and start looking up the creek. Here he comes. If I had to draw a perfect buck in my mind it would be him. Tall, wide, dark horned perfect 10 that id say would have no problem scoring high 150s and maybe into the 60s. I was admiring him till he got to within 75yards and then it was go time. Just as planned the buck came down the trail to about 30 yards and stopped. I'm comfortable to 30 but no farther and he must have known. Because he wouldn't give me a shot there and did at 40. The wind swirled and he didn't like it and walked off, only to come back by at 50 later that morning. Just to say bye I reckon because I never layed eyes on him again. It was cool to see a true monster and I held off on some other smaller ones in hope of another chance at him with no luck. So the trip ended with a buck and a doe coming back to Georgia and a fire lit to get back after them.
Kinda a long read but that's the summery to the KS trip. Thanks for reading.

Some of you have met Cale at the state shoot over the years. You won't meet a better guy or hunter. Next time he's around ask him about it. Here he is with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 386

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
What a beast!

Todd Cook

Outstanding story and buck! I have hunted out that way a bit myself and know what it can be like. Good times!