M1 CMP or not?

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gmag, did you see any of that military bore cleaner in the metal cans that says poison all over it ? RBC or rifle bore cleaner or some 3 letters.

No, I didn't.....I still have 1 full can of M6305 left, that I've probably had for 25 years....I've been searching the gunshows and haven't found any more there either.

I did find some of the little Lubriplate grease pots, though.

Desert Rat

My son sent off for a service grade and got back a beautiful Garand with a brand new stock. Not all the numbers match, but the overall condition was excellent. And they sent it in a nice CMP gun case.

Looks pretty close to the "service grade" I picked up in Anniston yesterday.
I tore it down last night and shot it today. Shot with a guy that picked up his service grade a week ago in the South Store. He couldn't take it any more. He had to go out today and shoot it. We had a lot of fun.
Compared to the peice of crap a shop tried to sell me for $800 in October, at $625 I got a great deal.
In my opinion, if you want an M1 and gon't go through CMP, you are probably paying too much for what you're getting.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
CMP is the best deal going for Garands, '03A3's, .22 Target rifles, Competition airguns, Ammo, and other militaria...plus they have regularly held sanctioned matches with all of them....all the way up to the Camp Perry Nationals. It is an outstanding organization for promoting the shooting sports, especially with the younger folks.

There are about 80,000 Garands that are supposed to be returned to the U.S. from Korea on the Lend-Lease program and sold to the civilian market this year. However, CMP will not get any of those rifles. CMP does not buy rifles. The CMP rifles come from the U.S. Army depots and are given to CMP by Congressional Order. The Korean returns will likely be in pretty rough shape and will sell for close to what CMP Service Grade rifles sell for...they will not have been gone over by an armorer like the CMP rifles and there is no guarantee they will even be safe to shoot. They are likely (very likely) to have foreign made replacement parts on them that may or may not be in spec.

PappyHoel

How do you order besides sending in an order form? There is no info to buy an M1 on their e commerce site. The order form has price and item number but nothing to reference on their website. I meet all of the qualifications to include club membership.

JeffinPTC

Rifles and receivers may only be ordered through mail order. evidently this saves 10% anniston tax, but its great to go in person and pick it out. You can also go the extra 20 minutes to the Talladega Marksman park and find a few there, and evidently the tax is 8%. Ithink they are now including an hour of range in on the 600 yd range with a purchase. You'll have to go back to the store to get the valuable CMP certificate, or maybe they will mail.
Most rifles have been rebuilt and have replacement stocks, for example, but occasionally you find a gem with original parts.
Order RM1Field
FIELD GRADE M1 GARAND
ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1FIELD M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available field grade rifle. See above for Field Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.
$630.00
Free Shipping

or Service:
SERVICE GRADE M1 GARAND
ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1WRAS M1 Garand WRA Service Grade. Please see M1 Service Grade description above.
$930.00
Free Shipping
1 per customer Jan 1-Dec 31
Will Not Hold Orders

RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.
$730.00
Free Shipping

RM1IHCS M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Service Grade description above. $1060.00
Free Shipping
1 per customer Jan 1-Dec 31
Will Not Hold Orders

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/ordering-information/

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/sales-faq/

DO I NEED TO GET PREAPPROVED OR SEND PAPERWORK IN ADVANCE TO PURCHASE RIFLES FROM THE CMP?
A.
CMP has four requirements for purchase: age over 18, US citizenship, firearms related activity, and membership in a CMP affiliated organization. You can go to the eligibility requirements section of our website to see what is acceptable as proof of each requirement.

Although you can send all of this in advance of a mail order, we recommend that you wait and attach everything to the first order that you mail to us. In the case of a rifle order where you have to send all the paperwork anyway then providing all the qualifying documentation in advance only saves a couple of minutes in processing time once we actually do get your order.

You can fax or email documentation to us ahead of time if you want to purchase items through our eStore or if you want to get an account set up in anticipation of making a purchase at one of our stores..
Highly recommend the $25 www.thegca.org membership for the quarterly mag even if you don't need it for eligibility.

order form:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/1orderformfillable.pdf?ver=20170210

See this link about what's in the store. Hours are 8-3 CT Thurs-Sat:
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74
PH68 does a great job of keeping up with what's in the store.

If you really want to be prepared, order this book and know what you're getting.:
https://www.amazon.com/M1-Garand-Ri...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BPT2CX91BQSRP3THKRNT

$82 well spent.

Last edited:

PappyHoel

Thank you Jeff. I may make a day trip to Anniston. Is it true I can buy it in Alabama and transport back to Ga? I thought you weren't allowed to do that?

JeffinPTC

i updated the post several times, so you may want to reread.
Yes the CMP is the govt, and in Georgia that is enuff for you to carry it with you.
If you go in person, be there at 0800 CT, or as early as you think you are willing to stand in line. If you just want a shooter and are not looking for a Aug 41 winchester (I picked up in June) go any time. they will have some stock.

PappyHoel

i updated the post several times, so you may want to reread.
Yes the CMP is the govt, and in Georgia that is enuff for you to carry it with you.
If you go in person, be there at 0800 CT, or as early as you think you are willing to stand in line. If you just want a shooter and are not looking for a Aug 41 winchester (I picked up in June) go any time. they will have some stock.

I really want a shooter and a Winchester. I'm also interested in the 1911s that will come available soon. Thank you for your help.