Beretta 92D remington ammo problems...

hallroyal

Hello,
I was just given a beretta 92D from a family member over the christmas break. I cleaned it really well, fired about 100 rounds with zero problems. Cleaned it really well again and bought a mega pack of remington umc 9mm luger 115gr at the ol' big box Academy Sports. Shot one box of fifty with no problems but in the second box started getting stovepipes, fte, ftfeed with both magazines and pretty much one after the other. Noticed the gun slide felt sluggish and gummy ??? Took the gun home, cleaned it REALLY good and then took it back today and shot 100 rounds of the ranges Atlanta Arms factory reloads with no problems and pretty good shots for me, with a new to me gun. Is it the ammo? Has anyone ever had any problems with this ammo or this pistol? It seems that the ammo was dirty and made the gun super dirty after only one box of ammo. Just wondering what anyone else thinks. I really like this firearm and since it is in the family no way will I ever sell it, but I sure would like to trust it!

Attachments

• beretta 92d.jpg
    beretta 92d.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 108
  • beretta 92d with clips.jpg
    beretta 92d with clips.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 108
  • beretta 92d open slide.jpg
    beretta 92d open slide.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 106
  • Beretta 92d target 1:11:18.jpg
    Beretta 92d target 1:11:18.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 105

wareagle700

The UMC ammo has worked for me, never had any issues that I can remember. I think its loaded a little milder than some others, that could have been your problem.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
It sounds like the ammo, especially seeing that there wasnt any any problems after you changed ammo...Nice pistol by the way. I love my 92fs

ryanh487

It's the ammo. I avoid green box ammo like the plague and certainly would never trust my life to it. Try a few other brands before you worry about the gun.

transfixer

I would think its the ammo, the few times I've bought Remington ammo for handguns I've not been impressed. Winchester also makes some 100rd boxes that are usually reasonable.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Remington ammo is no longer Remington ammo. The last few boxes of Cerebus Capital Management ammo I have bought have been horrible, contained duds, and inconsistant loads.

hallroyal

Remington ammo is no longer Remington ammo. The last few boxes of Cerebus Capital Management ammo I have bought have been horrible, contained duds, and inconsistant loads.

That's what I'm thinking, unfortunate because I grew up on rem 22lr.

Thanks ya'll,
One little teaser question:

What ammo are ya'lls favorite at the range?

ryanh487

Thanks ya'll,

whatever's cheapest and brass cased that's not remington.

I've been buying a lot of Sellier & Bellot or Herters lately, no issues to date with hundreds of rounds. I buy Federal if it's on sale.

hallroyal

au7126

Federal now. In the past used Winchester "silver tip" . They still group good in my 270 but not happy with the coating they have added to the bullets.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some of my favorite cheap range ammo is PMC bronze, or CCI Blazer Brass. Both run great in all my pistols.

Robert28

Thanks ya'll,

I like the Blazer brass stuff. It's reasonably priced and I've never had an issue with it.

GA native

I have been quite pleased with the Federal 9mm FMJ ammo at Wally World. $10 for 50 rounds, and they all go bang.

Every weapon I have fed the Federal 9mm too, has eaten it without FTE or FTF.

Tentwing

I have two Berettas . Neither of them like Remington ammo no matter the flavor cheap or expensive, so I always wondered if it was just a Beretta thing ? Pretty much all Federal runs good as well as Winchester. My Px 4 Storm likes Aguila 9mm best of all when Im shooting for smaller group sizes.
As a side note I've never had trouble with Remington ammo out of revolvers, but then most well made revolvers are mostly trouble free.

Tentwing