Any one else going into fishing DTs?

Scallen2112

Is there anyone else out there going into fishing DTs because it has been over a week since they wet a line? This is horrible. Twitches. Depression. Binge fishing video watching. A combination of Christmas, in-laws, and this weather has taken their inevitable toll on my psyche.

Not only that, but I completely failed to figure out the patterns after the water temp dropped into the low 50s, so it had been several fishless trips beforehand.

Whoa is me!

Riplukelee

I was able to fish a good bit last week but after the additional week of work shut down due to weather I know it’ll be awhile before I can get back out. The next day of good seas I’ll be heading for the wrecks

Bubba_1122

Fishing DT's? Yea, I got a big dose. Haven't been able to fish since summer. Had neck surgery the week of Thanksgiving. At followup appt. just before Christmas was told can't get in a boat for a year. That shocked me. Also haven't been able to hunt this fall.

After some discussion they said we'd discuss the fishing/boat issue again in 8 months.

That's a long time for a fella that loves to go to St George Island and fish in the bay (ultimately I'll do what they tell me (just mean's I'll fish twice as much in the fall when they turn me loose).

Scallen2112

Fishing DT's? Yea, I got a big dose. Haven't been able to fish since summer. Had neck surgery the week of Thanksgiving. At followup appt. just before Christmas was told can't get in a boat for a year. That shocked me. Also haven't been able to hunt this fall.

After some discussion they said we'd discuss the fishing/boat issue again in 8 months.

That's a long time for a fella that loves to go to St George Island and fish in the bay (ultimately I'll do what they tell me (just mean's I'll fish twice as much in the fall when they turn me loose).

Oh, dude, that bites. Did they say anything about off of a stable platform, like a pier? I was out once with a lower spine fusion, but my recovery was not nearly that long. At the very least you should find someone with a local pond and throw a cricket under a bobber this spring. It's kinda like methadone - not the real thing, but it helps.

Jimmy Lee Armel

I'm with Scallenon this. Has to be some kind of fishing you can do. I surely hope so and pray for a good recovery.

As soon as this wind lays I'm going back to work. I can deal with the cold but it's been blowing 15-20 for over a week and isn't laying tomorrow either.

ssramage

Yes, big time! I just got a new boat last summer but haven't been able to use it much due to a new baby at home and a new job that requires me to travel a lot. I'm hoping to be able to get on the water more this Spring and get back to fishing like I was.

Bubba_1122

Oh, dude, that bites. Did they say anything about off of a stable platform, like a pier? I was out once with a lower spine fusion, but my recovery was not nearly that long. At the very least you should find someone with a local pond and throw a cricket under a bobber this spring. It's kinda like methadone - not the real thing, but it helps.
On the "that long", I was shocked when they said that. Would have never in 1000 years thought it'd get in the way of fishing for more than a few months. Especially when they haven't totally ruled out turkey hunting (yet).

They did tell me could fish off the bank. I've got a couple of local ponds I can bank fish from in the springtime.

Have vacation scheduled in July at St George Island. Gonna be a little challenge - usually go fishing about every morning with family.

Regardless, I'll do whatever they tell me and not worry too much about it. Just want to keep everything on track with recovery. Not wanting to go through all that again (or do something that would cause me to lose the ability to do the things I enjoy).

Toughest part is after 6 weeks I feel so good that I feel like everything's healed up (I did let the young girl at the local hardware store carry a case of fire starter logs to my truck today (I'm only supposed to lift a max of 10 lbs - they weighed about 20)). Felt like a total wuss.

Jimmy Lee Armel

On the "that long", I was shocked when they said that. Would have never in 1000 years thought it'd get in the way of fishing for more than a few months. Especially when they haven't totally ruled out turkey hunting (yet).

They did tell me could fish off the bank. I've got a couple of local ponds I can bank fish from in the springtime.

Have vacation scheduled in July at St George Island. Gonna be a little challenge - usually go fishing about every morning with family.

Regardless, I'll do whatever they tell me and not worry too much about it. Just want to keep everything on track with recovery. Not wanting to go through all that again (or do something that would cause me to lose the ability to do the things I enjoy).

Toughest part is after 6 weeks I feel so good that I feel like everything's healed up (I did let the young girl at the local hardware store carry a case of fire starter logs to my truck today (I'm only supposed to lift a max of 10 lbs - they weighed about 20)). Felt like a total wuss.

Nothing about recovery is being a wuss brpther. I have found that with injuries the biggest obstacle in recovery is pride. My body has been beaten up pretty badly for as young as I am and I always pushed forward and kept working. Now, my back is in horrible shape. Two bulging discs, military neck, cartridge worn down blah blah blah. I'm glad to hear you're taking recovery seriously and don't make that mistake when it starts feeling normal of jumping back into things. And remeber if you can't be as active as normal, stretch and go on walks if you're able to stay limber and healthy. Can't fish if you can't move.

Riplukelee

Its been too long!!! Hoping to get out on the water on the very next day the winds and seas work out. Hope somebody local has fiddlers

trippcasey

I had neck surgery the week after Thanksgiving too. I've been fishing once since. We caught nothing, and I was actually ready to get back to the hill. Take it easy on your recovery. My dock said very similar to yours, and there is a reason behind it. This spring will be a year since my injury and I have only been fishing 3 times since then. Once I caught my personal best for trout. The other 2 were so painful it wasn't worth it. After that I decided the doc knows what he is talking about. Plus after all that time using a cane and a walker really put a damper on my sea legs, and after losing and somewhat regaining the use of my right hand I found that I had to re-learn how to do basic stuff like tie my shoes. If I couldn't tie my shoes, imagine how stupid I looked trying to rig my rod. I've decided to wait until to weather and water warms up some. I've waited this long already, why not wait a little longer until I am fully healed and have had some physical therapy to get my strength back. Breaking your neck is no joke. Take it easy. Your body will thank you in the long run.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Bump.
My fishing DTs got me looking into coastal reports from one year ago to see what was going on last January.
And it was fishing DTs!
Like vuja-day all over again.
I always have cabin fever this time of year, and now it is mixed in with a healthy dose of knee replacement pain! I'm don't know if I can wait for warmer weather and less pain. May have to fish with one and deal without the other soon!

boatbuilder

I got them bad as well. One side effect of the fishing DTs is i find myself shopping online for more fishing junk to fill my garage. It hAs me looking at trolling motors right now.

Knotmuch

It's bad with me too. Usually I can fight off the DT's by fishing for White Perch (Crappie) in the Altamaha River, but it's been too full to even consider.

Latest posts