Leupold VX-I vs VX-II

Niner

What's the "real world" diff. between these two scopes.

If one was to set a 3x9x40 of each side by side, what is (are) the bennies of the VX-II?

grouper sandwich

Without getting into the differences in glass and coatings, the biggest differences are the VX-I is a 1/2 MOA friction adjustment and the VX-II is a 1/4 MOA positive click adjustment. In my book that is a HUGE difference. For what it is the VX-I is it is grossly overpriced in my book and not even in the same zip code, let alone ball park, as the VX-II.

Doc_Holliday23

I agree with grouper. The VX-I is overpriced but the VX-II, imo, is actually a great price for the quality. I'm a big fan of the II's.

Another vote for the VX-II. Unless you just want a new scope, look for a used Vari-X II or Vari-X IIc. IIRC, I've seen (2) 3-9x40's listed for $155 and $175 in the last few weeks, and several listed for $200-225 over the last year.

Niner

Eddy, I was gonna ask this question....and you set it up for me perfectly....

So, what's the diff between the old Vari-XII and the VX-II.
Cabela's has the VXII on sale for $299, and I got a coupon in the mail the other day for $40 off of a $300 order. I've been watching flea-bay and the Vari-XII's on there are going for right at $200....or higher.

Sorry for all the dumbA** questions about the Leupolds....I've always bought el-cheapo scopes, but have gotten "flush" enough lately that I thought I'd indulge myself with a nicer scope.

I've been told that the VX-II's have glass that is comparable to the old Vari-X III's. I've got 3 of the Vari-X III's. I hunt with 2 guys who each have Vari-X II's. I've looked through their scopes and my scopes side by side, and can't tell enough difference to warrant the extra cost of the III's. If I needed another scope, I would have jumped on the Vari-X II 3-9x40 that sold on here last week for $175.

Dr. Strangelove

I've got two VX-1s I've been using for about a year now. They aren't bad scopes, but for the money, I have been disappointed.

I don't like the friction adjustments and I can't see any real difference between them and my old cheapies.

I've been seriously underwhelmed by the VX-1 line. I won't be buying anymore of these, maybe other Leupolds, but not the VX-1.

weagle

The Redfield Revolution is the new offering built by Leupold. It is optically and mechanically equivalent to the older Vari X IIc scopes except that it has the 1/4" click style adjustments. The new redfields are going to be a big hit in the "Hunting Scope" market. The 2-7 x 33mm will retail around $130 and the 3-9 x 40 will be around $150

Best of all they come with the leupold lifetime warranty.

Weagle