Do deer move early or later when it's cold?

shdw633

Do you think deer move early during really cold weather or do you think that they stay bedded down until the temp picks up in the middle of the day? I know deer move better during a cold snap but I have always wondered if they move later or more in the midday than during warmer weather.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Do you think deer move early during really cold weather or do you think that they stay bedded down until the temp picks up in the middle of the day? I know deer move better during a cold snap but I have always wondered if they move later or more in the midday than during warmer weather.

When I hunt on cold days, I usually see them move by 9AM.

dominantpredator

I hardly ever see deer right at first light when it is very cold. Usually from 9:eek:o am to about 12:eek:o and then from 2:30 till dark. I like it that way because I get to sleep in two hours longer.

Madsnooker

I love very cold mornings. Deer always move early and often. They need to keep their body temps up. Also, I bow hunt Ohio every year in very hilly country. If it's very cold, I will always hunt the sides where the sun hits first. They will always end up there to bed.

backroads_n_GA

I have also noticed that when they do move, they like those south facing slopes. Get more direct sunlight there.

7Mag Hunter

Not totally convinced real cold temps make any difference to
deer movement...Food likely has a more controlling influence on
deer than cold weather...
Deer live outside 24-7 and feed when hungry and find cover
when spooked.....

Robk

saw two does this morning. both prior to 9 am and nothing moving after that. 17 degrees this morning when I got out of the truck.

Rob

WTM45

I believe the cold temps alone does not make deer more active. If they are on nocturnal patterns or being pressured, they will mostly move around at night.
Deer can find food right in the thickest cover. They do not have to move to "keep warm." Many times I see them laying in their beds in the hemlocks with snow on their backs. Sunny slopes are good for daytime beds if they are not pressured.