State Waterfowl Association

Nothing I still send them money but they haven't done much for me and Georgia

MudDucker

Staff member
This is from one of the guys who works very hard on the annual GWF poker run and his experience dealing with the DNR to seek more support for duck hunting:

I met with the DNR two years ago to put together a Waterfowl Hunt and Learn program for the state. GWF would fund the entire thing through the poker run proceeds. I designed the weekend using their template for other hunt and learn programs and gave it to them. They basically threw it in the trash. The bottom line is the GA DNR doesn’t give a hoot about ducks or duck hunters. They made that very clear in our conversations. What stinks for us is that SC and FL have great programs, and the birds that get to FL don’t fly around GA to get there. I still have all the emails saved to prove these conversations. Those emails can be released if anyone is interested.

If duck hunters want to do something, participate and/or sponsor the poker run or the first duck contest. It’s something, and will give them an opportunity to contribute.

There you have it.

rnelson5

Your best place to put your money is in your OWN pocket. Save your money and travel to better places to hunt or buy your own property and improve it for yourself. I am sure DU does some good deeds, but if you want to improve YOUR hunting it starts with you. A lot of farmers in the prairie pothole region hate DU. I have been asked by a farmer "are you a member of DU?" when asking for permission to hunt their land. If the answer would have been yes I would have been told to get off of his property quickly. Conserving wetlands is vital without a doubt, but the way DU tries to throw their weight around to farmers in that region has bred a lot of hatred towards them. I have seen it first hand in the Dakota's and Canada.

So how many different events have you been to?

And I can pretty much guarantee that 90% of those chapters raise money for DU. You said your isue came from some lame director stealing the money. Now you're saying it's all about the alcohol.
You do know that the raffles and such is a legit way of making money right?
Again, do you think all cops are bad because a very few are?
Stop crying, you have no point here. They throw keggers and lose money. I've seen it first hand.

This is from one of the guys who works very hard on the annual GWF poker run and his experience dealing with the DNR to seek more support for duck hunting:

I met with the DNR two years ago to put together a Waterfowl Hunt and Learn program for the state. GWF would fund the entire thing through the poker run proceeds. I designed the weekend using their template for other hunt and learn programs and gave it to them. They basically threw it in the trash. The bottom line is the GA DNR doesn’t give a hoot about ducks or duck hunters. They made that very clear in our conversations. What stinks for us is that SC and FL have great programs, and the birds that get to FL don’t fly around GA to get there. I still have all the emails saved to prove these conversations. Those emails can be released if anyone is interested.

If duck hunters want to do something, participate and/or sponsor the poker run or the first duck contest. It’s something, and will give them an opportunity to contribute.

There you have it.

I've been to the poker run the last two years, plan on going again this year, what exactly does the money go to? Not that I'm accusing you of not using it for ducks, I literally just don't know what I'm supporting when I go.

emusmacker

How many du events have you attended? Bet you don't take your boys if you do.

at least 2 a year. I'm a committee member on my chapter and attend neighboring county too. My son goes to both also. So yea I do.

emusmacker

Stop crying, you have no point here. They throw keggers and lose money. I've seen it first hand.

I'm not crying, just trying to figure out why you blame an organization for a bad experience you had with ONE director. just asinine thinking to me.

emusmacker

Your best place to put your money is in your OWN pocket. Save your money and travel to better places to hunt or buy your own property and improve it for yourself. I am sure DU does some good deeds, but if you want to improve YOUR hunting it starts with you. A lot of farmers in the prairie pothole region hate DU. I have been asked by a farmer "are you a member of DU?" when asking for permission to hunt their land. If the answer would have been yes I would have been told to get off of his property quickly. Conserving wetlands is vital without a doubt, but the way DU tries to throw their weight around to farmers in that region has bred a lot of hatred towards them. I have seen it first hand in the Dakota's and Canada.

Robby, not trying to argue but I have a friend that is also on our committee and he hunts No Dak several times a year. He has had different experience. Miost of the farmers he's met applaudes DU and is willing to help them. DU helps the farmers and vice versa.
I'm sure there are some farmers that don't like them, but there's also plenty that do.

rnelson5

Robby, not trying to argue but I have a friend that is also on our committee and he hunts No Dak several times a year. He has had different experience. Miost of the farmers he's met applaudes DU and is willing to help them. DU helps the farmers and vice versa.
I'm sure there are some farmers that don't like them, but there's also plenty that do.

I am not arguing I heard it first hand from land owners.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Do like we do, get the members involved instead of calling them when they want money...wood duck box sponsorship, mallard tubes, working with the DNR planting food plots...sweat equity goes a long ways

Duckbuster82

Every event I have been to or heard of has advertised the "free" alcohol they're giving out, at which every event has had multiple kegs.

So what if there are kegs or alcohol. Most social events have alcohol. There were 20 guys who helped with our events and maybe two of them actually hunted ducks. The events were filled with people that didn't hunt ducks heck even a good many people that didn't hunt at all. They all bought tickets. For $60 dollars a head that beer isn't free. We sold thousands of dollars worth of raffle tickets to people who were there for the alcohol and social scene, they also bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from the auction. So I am not sure what your point about a keg party is. We had people of all ages there, families and no issues.

If du isn't your cup of tea try something else there are others that have different directions, or heck get a group of your buddies together and hold fundraiser to support local projects. You don't even have to have alcohol there.

MudDucker

Staff member
I've been to the poker run the last two years, plan on going again this year, what exactly does the money go to? Not that I'm accusing you of not using it for ducks, I literally just don't know what I'm supporting when I go.

The fund raising was never about more ducks, it has always been about encouraging kids to enter the sport and hunter hunter education.

Duckbuster82

Du pushes to preserve the breeding habitat. Farmers want more tillable acres they drain the potholes where the birds nest. No nest no birds.

emusmacker

Oh well excuse me for asking

Lil touchy eh? folks just answering your question and you get all butt hurt.

Believe it or nor, but not everything duck related is about helping you or me or anyone else kill ducks.

emusmacker

I am not arguing I heard it first hand from land owners.

10 fo

I guess it's like everywhere, some folks like DU and some don't. I'll hunt where my buddies go cause I'm not gonna hunt somehwere where I have to deny being a member of the organization I support. They can get on board or I'll just hunt elsewhere.

MudDucker

Staff member
Oh well excuse me for asking

You are reading something into my answer that is not there. I just stated a fact. The money buys prizes for a kids first duck. Some get guns and most get decoys and other hunting items.

emusmacker

You are reading something into my answer that is not there. I just stated a fact. The money buys prizes for a kids first duck. Some get guns and most get decoys and other hunting items.

Some folks just mad cause they had a bad experience and want to blame everyone else. Like I said, that's the same as saying because 1 cop is bad that all are bad. Sounds kinda like a democrat to me.