Is this a Shoal or Small Mouth?

HydraYak

Caught at Morgan Falls. Can't tell if it's a shoal or a small mouth. Have had people tell me both.

Fish ID?

Last edited:

Coenen

I'll go Shoalie. Feel like a smallie would have a deeper body. Maybe a hybrid?

HydraYak

I'm stuck on this one... strangest bass I've ever hooked;

Black eyes, dark green color with shades of blue and purple.
A bluish lower jaw and belly.
Vertical stripes like a shoal / small mouth.
Fat and short.

I want to say small mouth. But everyone I know that bass fishes the hooch says that there are no small mouth in that section. Only spots and shoal bass.

OwlRNothing

Well, the DNR could have told you - but I'm going to assume you released it?

Smallmouth bass in the Hooch. Nah. Couldn't be. :)

HydraYak

I release everything in freshwater.

Some saltwater species that i fish for wind up on the grill though!

The mtn man

Not a smallmouth.

Buckman18

shoal bass

Randy

Smallie, but could be a mutt, mixture, we know they are there.

weagle

I've caught several of those at Morgan Falls. A buddy of mine who's a member on GON and a professional fisherman (LanierSpots) tells me it's a smallmouth.

8EC12854-3E99-4916-BC5F-CB918BC5415D_zpsgentsmct.jpg

97wnDS0.jpg

The shoal bass I have caught in that same area looked different. They had the red eyes and were more white on their belly like this one:

722B076E-29BC-40DD-B249-8019CB56CDBA_zpstagmpone.jpg

Last edited:

HydraYak

The more i hear from everyone one and research it... I'm leaning smallie. Weagle that's the same fish; first and middle pic!

Coenen

PM ShoalBandit and see what he thinks. He's quite the repository of knowledge on this subject.

fish hawk

Bass Master
It's not just the color of the eye, it's the short, fat, thick body, dark brown body and the really small mouth.

Maybe it is a smallie or some type of intergrade but the video has been edited to give it and the surroundings a golden hue,the frames at 6 seconds and again at 1:33 are more indicative of the true color also check the the split screen frame,in the mentioned frames the fish sure does have a dark green back,they call them bronze backs for a reason.I'm guessing that water is on the clear side,if thats the fact then the bronze color would be really pronounced.I'm not suggesting the editing was done on purpose to try and fool anyone,I know folks like to play around with their videos to make them more entertaining.

Last edited:

HydraYak

Correct... I did edit some parts of the video.

The thumbnail is not true color (obviously). I've been running the thumbnail images through an app to bring out cool colors.

So it was cloudy and kind of dark outside when i caught this fish. In the raw video, you couldn't see any markings on it at all... it was just a black/green silhouette. I had to increase the exposure to brighten up the picture enough to see the detail on the fish. Which flushed out the sky and some colors. So then I tried to add some color correction.