Arrow Length question

woody116

Hey all, I am thinking about some new arrows. I had thought that my arrows were 28 3/4", but today I measured them and found them to be 28 5/8".
My question is, how much difference is that 1/8"? I am positive that the orginal arrows I bought with the bow were 28 3/4, and I think they may have miscut the new arrows I have. Cant say for sure, but I think so.
Just wondering.

robertyb

I agree.
When you draw you need about 1 inch of arrow in front of your rest. If you are shooting a longer arrow then you can cut it a little shorter and gain some speed. As long as your broadhead has sufficient clearance you will be OK.

Glenn

I went through this same issue about 2 months ago and read all kinds of articles on arrow length. Some say that if you are shooting a drop away it needs to be an inch -/+ in front of where the arrow lays on the rest. If shooting a TM style prong rest it should be at least and inch in front of the rest.

For me I don't like having a razor sharp arrow head behind my hand at full draw so I have my arrows cut right at the edge of my riser at full draw. This puts my arrow about 3 inchs in front of my TM style rest and just a hair or two past the edge of my riser.

Just do what feels right to you!

woody116

Thanks everyone. I ended up adding that 1/8" just for ease of remembering how long they should be.
I picked up some whitetail slx 350s. These are made by carbon express exclusively for Gander Mountain. I also picked up a GKF Tranquilizer (shorty) that I have been wanting for some time. They were on clearance, so I got a pretty good deal on that.

thanks again all