Oconee National Foresst what happened to the population?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
BF Grant has a huge egg laying facility bordering it on the north end by hi way 441. The turkeys declined started when it opened. They say it is no way associated with the populations. Whatever happened to the deer on the ONF is happening to the turkeys. Not a good situation but I doubt if you can get anyone to stop hunting after harvesting one gobbler.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Turkeys gave me a disease over 30 yrs ago, and believe me, you don't want it.

kevincox

Less sign and very few tracks where I've hunted. Could be habitat issue in my area. Too much clear cutting and really thick planted pines and very few hardwoods. Have not heard a gobble in 2 trips. In past years we would normally always hear atleast 1 or 2.

Luke0927

We back up to ONF around Monticello, or land was mostly cut so we have been mostly hunting ONF last two seasons. We have worked a couple of birds, but it has been tough.

panfish

I'm in the onf almost every weekend. I don't see them like I use to. But I don't see a lot of hunting ether. I don't see it being over hunting doing it. I stop hunting turkey a long time ago. But I'm still out there walking. They just not there any more.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Funny that I find this thread here this morning. I had a conversation with a guy this morning and he asked me if I had heard anything about deer corn that is being put out hurting the turkeys. By that I mean something about whatever is being done to the corn being unhealthy for turkeys. I don't know why it would hurt turkeys and not deer but I'm not an expert on such matters. Have y'all heard anything about this.

PappyHoel

Funny that I find this thread here this morning. I had a conversation with a guy this morning and he asked me if I had heard anything about deer corn that is being put out hurting the turkeys. By that I mean something about whatever is being done to the corn being unhealthy for turkeys. I don't know why it would hurt turkeys and not deer but I'm not an expert on such matters. Have y'all heard anything about this.

Sounds like an anti baiter rumor .

Gut_Pile

Kansas, Texas, and Florida allow bait to be present during turkey season and they have zero turkey issues

Corn has nothing to do with it

deast1988

How many signed into CederCreek this year?

How much timber did they take off CederCreek, B.F. Grant, Redlands, Clybel?

The land management on certain tracks or lack there of, The allowable hunter access makes it easy pickings to easily over hunt, over educate, and decimate populations.

Lock the gates, make folks walk. Limit hunters, don’t just wipe chunks of timber out to pay the bills (Clybel/BF). Should start some state funded trapping programs by folks that actually know how to properly trap, They keep increasing hunting license prices.

I say all this because my sections of ONF are affected by the hunting situations on some of these WMAS. CC is prob over 500 signed in at this point in season. That much pressure on a sign in hunt. Leads to no telling out there on government land in Surrounding areas.

the birds are gone

and over hunting, or corn, or even predation did not get these numbers down to the level that they are now.

Something killed these birds, and although raccoons and other critters certainly take there toil as well has habitat removal, I think it was something much larger than people have put there fingers on.

I raise turkeys, and I have had a fair amount just die in the last few years. I think it was disease or flu.

IMHO

s&r

cam88

I remember last year I got drawn for a quota hunt and when I got there they had been cutting timber right before the season started and during the first bit of the season. Don't know who's bright idea that was but needless to say I harvested 0.

DRBugman85

nest predators taking a toll
When we started Predator control on our leases the Turkey population was way DOWN, Now we have very few coyote Bobcats and Hogs and our Turkey population is getting better with of course food plots being managed for deer and turkey,s ...

Attachments

• bitmoji-20180128092009.png
    bitmoji-20180128092009.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 582

Jody Hawk

The population is getting worse on the ONF! We have covered some miles this week and can't hardly even find a track.

I'm right there with you. I've got spots that I could hear a gobble nearly any morning a few years ago, today it's like there's not a turkey within miles.

saltysenior

and over hunting, or corn, or even predation did not get these numbers down to the level that they are now.

Something killed these birds, and although raccoons and other critters certainly take there toil as well has habitat removal, I think it was something much larger than people have put there fingers on.

I raise turkeys, and I have had a fair amount just die in the last few years. I think it was disease or flu.

IMHO

s&r

the disease theory is a theory that holds water for the turkey population decline in ALL eastern states...other than raptors, reasons that are usually brought forward are not possible in all the states seeing this occurrence