Winfield Scott and Vogel lake

Bream Pole

Going to be camping at Vogel next week for a couple of days. Anybody have anything to say about trout fishing in either of these lakes?

I'd go to the swinging bridge on the Toccoa, but afraid not stable enough to wade. More years ago than I care to count I had great success there on stream reared rainbows.

I plan on taking an ultra light spinning outfit and a 3 wt fly rod. Read on here where in either 2015 or 2016 some were having very good success at Vogel lake with fly rod; however, no mention of what they were casting.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I don't think the trout population in either Vogel or Winfield Scott is going to be much this time of year. I'm sure there are some holdovers from the summer stocking, but unless there's been a recent stocking, the trout fishing will be pretty slow.

However, I had my kids at Vogel just last week and we walked around the lake. I saw dozens of bream hugging the thick cover near shore. If you're down at the spillway, come back up the left side of the lake and there were bream under every overhanging limb. I suspect you'll be paddling?

Last edited:

Bream Pole

I thought of taking my kayak, but not sure I want to fool with it. The lake at Vogel is shallow and probably gets pretty warm for trout in late summer. However the thought of taking the kayak and working the shore line for bream is entertaining. My wife will be out of town at a conference, and so I have decided to take my back packing tent and enjoy the mountains. It's a loner joy of mine--has been for years-- couldn't get my wife in a tent.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've spent a lifetime fishing Winfield Scott from a boat, and in my opinion, it's the only way to go.

As for Vogel, overhanging limbs offer cover for the fish, but also render it difficult to fish from the bank. If you've got the option, you ought to bring it.

Coenen

I've spent a lifetime fishing Winfield Scott from a boat, and in my opinion, it's the only way to go.

As for Vogel, overhanging limbs offer cover for the fish, but also render it difficult to fish from the bank. If you've got the option, you ought to bring it.
Are the rumors true about the largemouth bass population in Winfield Scott? Did they survive the recent drawdown / repairs?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Are the rumors true about the largemouth bass population in Winfield Scott? Did they survive the recent drawdown / repairs?

Rumor used to be true, but I visited recently and did not see any evidence of the big bucketmouths I used to see.

Anvil Head

Might check with Vogel, for a good while they wouldn't let you put your personal craft in the lake. Hopefully that has changed. They got a little puffy with me a few years back when I wanted to put my yak in for some fishing. Last time I ever camped there....better places. Stealth and invisibility are the key in Winfield, the water's usually pretty clear. Yous see them....they see you.

Coenen

Rumor used to be true, but I visited recently and did not see any evidence of the big bucketmouths I used to see.
That's too bad. I heard there were some real giants in there, and that they were very challenging to fish for. I'm sure that lake will rebound in due time. The "all trout" diet seems to be a virtual guarantee for growing out sized largemouth.

The mtn man

Might check with Vogel, for a good while they wouldn't let you put your personal craft in the lake. Hopefully that has changed. They got a little puffy with me a few years back when I wanted to put my yak in for some fishing. Last time I ever camped there....better places. Stealth and invisibility are the key in Winfield, the water's usually pretty clear. Yous see them....they see you.

I've put my kayak in vogal, the only issue I had was a ticket on my windshield for parking across the road from the dam. The ticket had instructions to go over to the pay box, fold ticket up with my use fee and it was all good.

Anvil Head

That's god to know, always thought that would be a great way to fish that lake. Think I might have just run up on a hard head concessions/vendor at the time. There are plenty more places to enjoy fishing.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Think I might have just run up on a hard head concessions/vendor at the time.

Nope, personal watercraft were prohibited for as long as I can remember. It's only been recently that they were allowed.