To Diesel or not to Diesel

Dupree

i had a 6.0 powerstroke and after 3500 bucks worth of headgaskets

there was a recall on that so you shouldnt have had to pay.

Full Pull

Fo Sure sounds like a great time then maby we can take the Quads out for a walk.

Full Pull

this has turned into a power trip for black smoke lovers!!!

Getting back to the subject at hand... IF YOU DONT PULL NOTHING DONT SPEND THE MONEY ON A DIESEL!!!

And by the way has anyone noticed how many HPs the new gas powerd trucks are putting out? 400 hp isnt that uncommon

i had a 6.0 powerstroke and after 3500 bucks worth of headgaskets and other odds n ends i traded it for a big block chevy dually with the allison tranny and can not complain.

Not realy a power trip.
Yes the gas trucks do come with more hp than before.
If you like running your truk up to 5k to get your power.
The Diesel is great for a daily driver less rpm less fuel longer life and Better re sale.
Also if you deside in the future to buy a bigger camper you will not halfto up grade your truck.
I usto pull for fima and outher rv dealers all around and let me tell you for Pullin Diesel is King.
My old 04 2500 Hemi 4x4 was a beast but no match for my Diesel even when it was 325hp and 610tq stock .
Do what you wish just think about it.

Katie Brake

I have an 04 6.0 powerstroke with 287,000 with no problems....what most people don't understand about the 6.0's is it has a V.G.T.( variable geometry turbo) the veins actually change pitch when the engine is under a load. The veins are hydraulically actuated which means they work off of oil pressure.. The fuel injectors also work off of oil pressure... With That being said if you don't maintain your oil religiously your setting your self up for failed parts! The 6.0s also has an EGR system( Exhaust Gas Recirculation ) which circulates raw exhaust through a cooling system in the intake and then back through the engine, resulting in cooler cylinder temps but also reducing fuel mileage. You can ulplug the egr system boosting fuel mileage buy 2-3 mpg around town instantly.. I get 18-20 mpg unloaded and 14 or 15 with a 10,000# load...The 6.0 has more power and twice the torque as the 7.3. It is also backed buy one of the best transmissions ever built but if you don't plan on maintaining it don't buy one because it wont last...Most people who have had problems with the 6.0 have been the root cause of the problem!

shiny 308

Full Pull ,, i agree,, a gas burner cant compete with the pulling power of a diesel but if the dude who started this thread isnt gonna pull something that is over 8000 lbs regularly,,, i wouldnt advise in spending the extra 10k for the diesel.

I like diesels, my ideal truck would be... a ford truck, dodge cummins engine, and a chevy allison trans!!

Full Pull

Yup their are pros and cons to bouth.
but people do weard things like change their minds and buy bigger campers or want to go Fast.
I dont know what is rte for him just my opinion.
If the thought is their and you can afford it .
Just DOIT.
Life is to short Have fun.

Full Pull

I have an 04 6.0 powerstroke with 287,000 with no problems....what most people don't understand about the 6.0's is it has a V.G.T.( variable geometry turbo) the veins actually change pitch when the engine is under a load. The veins are hydraulically actuated which means they work off of oil pressure.. The fuel injectors also work off of oil pressure... With That being said if you don't maintain your oil religiously your setting your self up for failed parts! The 6.0s also has an EGR system( Exhaust Gas Recirculation ) which circulates raw exhaust through a cooling system in the intake and then back through the engine, resulting in cooler cylinder temps but also reducing fuel mileage. You can ulplug the egr system boosting fuel mileage buy 2-3 mpg around town instantly.. I get 18-20 mpg unloaded and 14 or 15 with a 10,000# load...The 6.0 has more power and twice the torque as the 7.3. It is also backed buy one of the best transmissions ever built but if you don't plan on maintaining it don't buy one because it wont last...Most people who have had problems with the 6.0 have been the root cause of the problem!

My buddy has an 04 6.0 and he is going through the injector game rte now and he has one of thoes fs2000 oil systems .
He just did thr egr delete and the shop did not put new oil gaskets in and down the road he lost most of his oil.
Not a happy camper.
The kit does not come with new gaskets so if you do it make sure u put new one's in.

Doyle

Looking at 3/4 ton 4x4 and I do tow a 5000# camper from time to time. I would also have my 4 wheeler in the bed.. So there is some weight involved.. I also only put about 10,000 miles a year on a truck.. they get drove during deer season and sometimes on the weekends during the off season.

You don't need a 3/4 ton or a diesel to do that. My old beat up '97 Dodge with the 5.2 will easily tow 5000lbs with a 4 wheeler in the bed.

hayseed_theology

Diesel with some aftermarket parts. Awesome power and decent gas mileage. And when you hit 200K, its just gettin' broke in right. I think extra money to buy one is recovered in longevity and resale value.

SWS

like everyone else says, get the diesel if your gonna do some serious pullin. I personally like my 06 chevy 2500, much quieter engine than the 05 dodge i had. Ive seen a lot of diesels last well over 200k and some that bust the headstuds at 80k. just depends on how you treat it. I love my duramax cause im always pullin my 28ft camper around. i never owned a chevy till now and love the comfort of this truck, but as far as aftermarket and sheer torque the dodge beats my chevy. I never really like the fords, just some ugly trucks to me. All the diesels are good engines, other than the 6 point uh oh and 6.4 powerstrokes. be prepared for oilburner fever. cause seein that black smoke roll is an addictive and expensive habit