Hunting at the house

CarMan

Recently, I was able to purchase a small farm, after years of wanting one, with my own pond for fishing, and lots of deer sign. Sure enough, lots of deer are here. The problem is, I think I am getting a soft spot for them. When I am mowing they just come on out and check on me, and watch work around the place. What in the world am I gonna do when season opens? I find myself torn. Good problem to have I reckon. Don't look like I'll ever starve. I guess I just need to name them and start feeding them like the old men I used to make fun of.

gregj

Never never get attached to animals that you want to eat. I learned that from uncle who was a farmer. If yer gonna eat it , don't name it.

bulldawgborn

I've eaten several rabbits that were my part time pets. Some of em had names and some of em didn't, but they all ate pretty good.

Get them deer where they will eat out of your hand, and you can stick em in the vena cava with your pocket knife.

Congratulations on the purchase of your slice of heaven. I hope to be in a similar situation one day.

GA DAWG

I have a ton of deer at my place. Can't hardly kill a doe there. Now I will shoot a big buck every now and then.

35 Whelen

Work hard at planting a garden and watching your plants grow, then one morning go out to look at the fruits of your labor and realize that it has been mowed down to the ground overnight by deer and your feelings will change.

GA DAWG

Work hard at planting a garden and watching your plants grow, then one morning go out to look at the fruits of your labor and realize that it has been mowed down to the ground overnight by deer and your feelings will change.
Mine don't. We put a fence up. Then at end of summer take it down and let em have at it. Then I plant them a winter food source there :D Gotta feed my babies.

Scrapy

Banned

Exactly right. Plant a garden. I started a garden over a month ago but it was too cold for anything but taters. The deer started coming, just checking it. I knew I was in for problems from the last two years experience. Prior to that, the deer and me used to have an understanding. I left them alone and they left my garden alone . But something changed one night when I had put off picking a tenth of an acre of peas for one more day. I went out to pick and they had eaten every pea within 5 feet of where I had coondogs chained on both ends of the garden. So a month ago I could see 8 deer in it and the yard from the floodlight on my back door. I fixed some shells with number 8 and rock salt and gave them a taste. within two weeks they started coming back and my peas are just now germinating. I'm going to work my way on down to double ought if I got to.

By the way, do a lot of shooting at your new place day or night so the neighbors get used to it if they don't already do shooting when they get ready themselves. I hear a shot or two a week around here at night and figure some neighbor took care of an armadillo or snake or coon or deer but I don't run in and Call 911. So keep on shooting whenever you get ready because you might get new neighbors that have to get used to it.

RUGERWARRIOR

Have the deer on your new land been hunted before you bought it? Hunt them next season and take a couple of them. They may not be so quick to hang out with you anymore when your working.
Reminds me of old "Hill Climber" in a club I used to be in. He lived around Woodstock and always had deer in his land and yard. He wouldn't kill them. He would drive all the way to talbot county every weekend and hardly ever see anything. He really loves that club.

Drexal

Last week, I had 22 eggplant plants... today I have 6! :mad:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have 3 turkeys that eat the corn under my feeder. I named them Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

gt40

dtala

wife won't allow shooting deer/turkey on our farm. Everywhere else yes, but not the "yard deer".....

T.P.

Banned
I leave my yard deer alone, except for cruising bucks. I'll pop a cap in them.

20140930_185728_zps0e9cab9c.jpg

20141027_171237_zps02f9bfc6.jpg

20131022_090836_zps7175edd0.jpg

CDY_00242_zps75510b1f.jpg

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Haven't killed one IMBY. Yet. I had the same thing happen as Scrapy did with green beans. Checked em after work on a Friday. Was Goin to pick a wheel barrel full on sat. morn. The deer had the same plans. Didn't even leave the plants. Since then they haven't messed with it. Been watchin a particular doe raise her fawns for 5-6 years. She's Gettin old now and only had a single fawn last year.

7Mag Hunter

I have a ton of deer at my place. Can't hardly kill a doe there. Now I will shoot a big buck every now and then.

X-2....My Uncle had a Carroll County
farm with loads of deer and he asked
me come kill a few.....
I was all excited until i rode my ATV
thru the fields to the woods and
3-4 deer came out to check me out..

Seems his Grand kids would take
bags of corn and pour out at the
edge of the field and they would sit
in his old farm truck and watch them
eat.....They even had an old doe that
would get 20' from the truck.....

I loaded up and went home....I ain't
killin' no tame deer...::ke:
Don't need venison that bad.....

turkeykirk

Only problem I have hunting at the house is when my wife comes to the woods and yells that it time for me to get to work in the yard!facepalm:

Dr. Strangelove

I live in town, well, in a neighborhood in Athens (or did until January, anyway) and deer are why I finally stopped fooling with a garden. It just wasn't worth deer-proofing it for the tiny amount of veggies I raised.

BornToHuntAndFish

Sounds like a blast having yard deer entertainment. Good luck & enjoy it anyways you decide.

Core Lokt

Shoot only big bucks if you see them during the season. You will have bucks show up during the rut that don't live on your place the rest of the year.